Options

Lake Murray vs Lake Norman

CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
I am wanting to my boat off of Lake Keowee in SC and to Lake Norman in NC or Lake Murray in Columbia in SC.  My lake only has 2 restaurants on it and only 1 that is worth a ****.  I just want a better boating experience all together, nicer marina, more to do, etc.  Does anyone have any experience on either of the 2 lakes to posted?
2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not from the area, but by looking at Active Captain I think Lake Marion would be a nice choice.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake Marion has a lot of gators
  • Options
    I didn't think gators would go North of Georgia.  Too cold for them in the Winter.

• Options
    Stodge said:
    I didn't think gators would go North of Georgia.  Too cold for them in the Winter.
    Ok dont say I didnt warn you
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    They must be asleep for 4 months out of the year.  Gators are not fans of cold.

• Options
    Alligators frozen: Alligators freeze in North Carolina swamp with noses above ice - CBS ...
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    No gators in Lake Murray. Great lake, plenty of options. Irmo is nearby with more options. Concert series at Spence Island - DriftJam was last weekend, there's Reggaetronic coming up in July. 

Lake Norman is more built up, more boat traffic, and we liked it but we dig quieter lakes. We have an EC, so we grill out a lot.

Lake Marion and Moultrie are shallow, gator filled, lots of dead-head stumps, and get WILD in storms. Absolutely WILD. Long and wide, but only like 18' at the deepest, and the waves stack up like a train and wreck anything they come across. Otherwise there's a few big boat parties out there too - Coonfest (named after **** island, a prominent family name in the Lowcountry). 

We've been looking for a cheap slip on Murray (we're in CHS) but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger. 2 hours each way to the boat is a long time, but it takes almost that long today to pull, launch, recover, and clean it, so... But checking on it is a 5 minute ride.
  • Options
    @Dude_Himself Im single, young, like the party scene, always looking to meet new people.  So you are saying Norman is more fun?
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Not sure - the Admiral wouldn't like me heading up single. 😁

Charleston, in the 18 to 34 year age group, has around 1 single guy for every 12 single ladies. You can see the results at the sand bars: drunk ladies fighting over beer-gut bubbas. Wish I lived here when I was single.
  • Options
    I have thought about moving my boat there but then that's a 3 hour drive instead of the 1.5 from Greenville. I think once I get a bigger boat itll be placed at Charleston or by my other shop in Fort Lauderdale.