Developing a written checklist

JstewJstew Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
I was a pilot at one time. I’m a big believer in following a written checklist for safety sake. I’d be interested to hear if any of you have developed your own checklist for various boating activities. For example leaving the dock, or pulling up anchor after a day on the hook in a cove, etc.   I’m on an EX370 if that makes a difference. 

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    I keep a log book that serves as my checklist.  I fill it out every time I get underway.  Date, time, destination, fuel, engine hours, several other details.  

A good checklist is a list of mental triggers.  When I write down how much fuel I have, I'm not just going through the motions ... it's my trigger to think about whether I have enough fuel for the voyage.  When I write down weather conditions, it's my trigger to think about how weather might affect me.  
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    I have another checklist:  six, two, one.  Before I walk away from the boat after docking, I force myself to stop and count out loud:  six dock lines, two fenders, one power cord.  Again, triggers to think ... dock lines and fenders okay?  Power connected and turned on?  
  • JstewJstew Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    All good stuff. I’m going to make several detailed lists, just bc there seems to be so many details to take care of.  Even something as simple as making sure the swim ladder is up before leaving an anchorage. 😎
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    West Marine has float plan forms and a checklist form at https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Safe-Boating-Checklist

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    The VesselView Mobile app has checklists in it too and I plan to look into these more now I have that all up and running.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The Coast Guard app has a float plan button.  There are other helpful functions in it as well.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX