Options

Rinker 342 docking

liuxue2010liuxue2010 Member Posts: 30
I am the beginner and I just bought the 2006 Rinker 342 with bow thruster, I just practiced docking for a couple of times and find it's so tough.  Should I use shifter only I mean both engine instead of streering wheel when docking?  I also found I have to give 1 sec throttle then neutral and continue 1 sec throttle then neutral. what's the correct way to back my boat out of my slip?  

what's the best way in and out, the blue area is where I docked my boat. right now I do straight in and back out. but what's the best way to do it?

it is in lake and no currents but wind.

Post edited by liuxue2010 on

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Docking is all about practice, practice, practice. 

I use little to no steering when docking my 342. Just using the shifters (fwd/rev) to spin her in. All at idle. Winds/currents of course need adjustments...

good luck. Go slow!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    It's actually not hard at all, if you are willing to put in some dedicated practice!  Check out this thread for a recent discussion of this topic:

http://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/114124
  • Options
    And yes, bumping the engines in and out of gear is the correct method. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same here. No wheel. All throttles bumping in and out of gear. I back in to my slip and pull out in forward. We leave our lines on the dock but usually the admiral gets out a line or two to have something to throw to a helper, makes things a little easier with wind. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a finger pier you can walk it out and jump on the last second
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Make sure your drives are straight when using throttles to dock, also you get more control if they're all the way down. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Everyone has their own method of docking. I use 1 engine and the wheel. No problems. I have used just the throttles also with no problems. IMO it depends on the conditions. My yacht club has a very strong current.  Practice practice practice. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I find my 342 very easy to dock. the response from the throttle inputs is very good. Sometimes all you need to just a quick burst in one direction or another. I never use the steering wheel, I have a Davis Rudder indicator on my steering wheel to make sure they are straight when I'm ready to dock. 
    I would imagine that having a bow thruster would make it even easier.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Thanks to you all!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the boat out to came place and spin at around back it up and spin back around. Then go to a slip durning the week(when no ones there) back in pull out again and again practice.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    what's the best way in and out, the blue area is where I docked my boat. right now I do straight in and back out. but what's the best way to do it?

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    The prevailing winds and current may determine this, it appears everyone else is bow in - is that because of rules, narrow slips and getting off and on at the bow or a current going from left to right makes backing hard? Me - I'd go in slow, spin and back in with a starboard tie up, if the other side then maybe bow is better. Because of my prior emergency service days of backing in for easy and quick exit I prefer to back in but can you get off stern easily if backed in also?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    We can feel free to do bow in or stern in and no rules.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to know how that trimaran gets in and out! Looks like only a few inches of clearance. I'd be sweating each and every time in and out.  :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    I want to know how that trimaran gets in and out! Looks like only a few inches of clearance. I'd be sweating each and every time in and out.  :sweat_smile:
    I was wondering the same thing.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I'd go stern in (unless you prefer stern out so the cockpit has a sunset view or something like that).  Come through the fairway, spin clockwise in front of the slip and back into the slip.  Coming out, you'd have a straight shot into the fairway.  
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I'd go stern in (unless you prefer stern out so the cockpit has a sunset view or something like that).  Come through the fairway, spin clockwise in front of the slip and back into the slip.  Coming out, you'd have a straight shot into the fairway.  
    That's exactly what I'd do.
    LaRea said:

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    WilDanD2 said:
    LaRea said:
    That's exactly what I'd do.
    LaRea said:

Will try that way.