Options

Should I install a stern thruster for my 342?

I am totally new to boating and purchased a 2006 rinker 342 with bow thruster but still feel very tough to docking. Should I install a stern thruster or not?  Is that stern thruster really useful?

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I would hire a captain to teach you how to handle the boat honestly.  Twins and a bow thruster should make docking pretty easy after some practice.  Don't waste money on a Stern thruster.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    No.  Just no.

You don't need a stern thruster.  You need practice.  A boat that size, with twin engines and a bow thruster?  Anyone can learn to do it if they are willing to practice.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, while I’d take a free bow thruster I don’t see the need for the bow thruster on my 06 342 let alone stern. Nice that you have the bow but spend your time learning the boat, not your money on a stern thruster 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practice practice practice, put your money somewhere else.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    liuxue2010liuxue2010 Member Posts: 30
    Great suggestions and I will practice more and save money for sedek carpet
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Having 2 outdrives makes the 342 pretty maneuverable.  If you were talking about a boat with a single shaft and ruder then thrusters would make more sense.

The 342 is not exactly what I'd call a starter boat.  It would have been helpful to have experience with a smaller boat with less wind exposure.  

So as stated, practice practice practice.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    IMO, stern thruster on a 342 is a waste of money. Practice practice practice.......once that is done, you'll agree
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Agree with the above.  Bow thruster has value to me in very windy conditions.  Or even for as much as maneuvering the bow around to hang ropes on transient slip pilings that may be far apart relative to the width of the boat.  I have been in some transient slips that are meant for 50 footers with 16+' beams where that thruster comes in handy.  Conversely i have been at marinas where they make you back down 3 rows of boats on both sides of you in a 20' alleyway.  Again thankful for the bow thruster...

The stern on the other hand, once you have experience, you will learn that the twin screws almost act as a thruster.  You can move the aft of the boat left and right with ease by simply bumping the port or stern drive in and out of forward and reverse.  Practice is all it takes.  Go out in the wide open and find a bouy to play around with.  Pretend its a boat or piling or something you want to get the back of the boat right next too without hitting it.  Good luck.  Don't get frustrated and throw boat bucks at it.  You will be better for it.
  • Options
    liuxue2010liuxue2010 Member Posts: 30
    Agree with the above.  Bow thruster has value to me in very windy conditions.  Or even for as much as maneuvering the bow around to hang ropes on transient slip pilings that may be far apart relative to the width of the boat.  I have been in some transient slips that are meant for 50 footers with 16+' beams where that thruster comes in handy.  Conversely i have been at marinas where they make you back down 3 rows of boats on both sides of you in a 20' alleyway.  Again thankful for the bow thruster...

The stern on the other hand, once you have experience, you will learn that the twin screws almost act as a thruster.  You can move the aft of the boat left and right with ease by simply bumping the port or stern drive in and out of forward and reverse.  Practice is all it takes.  Go out in the wide open and find a bouy to play around with.  Pretend its a boat or piling or something you want to get the back of the boat right next too without hitting it.  Good luck.  Don't get frustrated and throw boat bucks at it.  You will be better for it.
    Thanks so much and will do.