Options

Chartplotter/GPS

Anyone have any suggestions on a cheap chartplotter/GPS? My compass on the dash is useless, and I only have a handheld Garmin that I use. I am entertaining the thought of just replacing it with a chartplotter, but I don't really do a lot of baoting where I think I would need something expensive and involved.

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Garmin 441s is a pretty minimal Chartplotter/GPS for $350 on sale (LINK). It's what I use although I added a transducer, fuel flow meter and NEMA network, and got the full rebate on the satellite image card (the satt images are almost all hype and low rez uselessness so don't bother). Check to make sure that charts/maps for your area are included and detailed enough to be safe.

The $150 fuel flow option helped me determine best trim and to keep an eye on engine efficiency. Otherwise I use the GPS speedometer to know when to pull my tabs up and set cruising speed. The transducer is great for bottom contour and gives me water temp.

The chart detail is adequate for casual use but I'd want higher rez if I was cruising on a regular basis.
    Welcome to the forum and I hope that helps. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭

We use our ipad with an aviation windshield mount (it holds tight even in very rough water) down loaded with Navionics, ( I think the app was $69.00) which has all the inland lakes and coastal waters on it. Plus when we have phone service we can check the weather on the ipad as well

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    cmelt2003cmelt2003 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Bruce: Is your ipad the 3G version? We have an ipad, but it is only wifi enabled.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend a few bucks on a handheld compass. Never hurts to have a non-electric backup!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Yes it is a 3G so it has the built in GPS antenna, it works great and we also downloaded "Anchor Watch" which is a must when we spend the night on the hook. And the other the big plus to using the ipad  (as I'm sure you know) we use it for a million other things on and off of the boat. You can get a GPS antenna for yours from many companys like Bad Elf.  Hope this helps.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    i picked up a lowrance elite 5m from west marine. for 299 usually sells for 500 or so. west marine is always running deals on it. its a decent unit, i have no complains so far. 
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you use a gps in your vehicle but I use the Garmin 620.  It is a dual boat and auto gps.  I love it.  When I am done boating for the day it pops out of the holder and pops back into the holder in the car.

• Options
    cmelt2003cmelt2003 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Bat... Never thought about that. We don't use one because of our smart phones, but if I had the dual option, that wouldn't be a bad deal. Thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

When I posted I was away from mine.  Mine is a 640 not 620.  Don't know exactly the difference but still love mine.  Just pop it back and forth and it has all the 3D stuff the others have.  Also it comes with independent mounts for the car and the boat. 

• Options
    51719435171943 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I have a Garmin 441 never a problem for me