Options

Shore power question

JstewJstew Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
EX370 with AC/Heat 16,000 BTU.  Occasionally, I dock at a friend's lake house and he only has 15a receptacles at his dock.  If I use at 30a to 15a adapter plug, will that be enough to power the AC?  I've used it with success to run the lights and other minimal systems but haven't tried with the AC.

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    says 17.6 amp on start up and 10.8 amp running i think you will pop his breaker at the lake house.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thank you. I figured it was a no-go.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I have used my ac many times on a 15 amp breaker ,worked fine although I try not to unless only choice.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Bella, how many BTUs is your system?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a 342 so it has to be 16k
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on the start up current.  It doesn't matter what adapter you have (15 A to 30A) ... and based on the above looks like it will draw 17.6 amps and run at 10.8 amps. Issue is, that is probably the spec when it's brand new.  Your AC will start to draw more amps on startup and running as it gets older.

However, here's the catch ... a 15 amp breaker normally won't trip if it experiences over 15 amps for a split second.  It needs to see higher amps for a few seconds. So it's possible if the AC starts up and goes over, that the amps settle back below 15 amps quick enough, and you're good.  You'll have a problem if it draws more than 15 amps continuously though.

I don't believe there is any harm in trying, but maybe talk to an electrician.  I think if you draw higher amps, the 15A breaker on your buddy's plug should trip. Hopefully the cable to the plug isn't that long though (or if it is, the gauge size is big enough) ... because the problem with amps is overheating of cables.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"