Options

Volvo Penta Engines syncing issues

liuxue2010liuxue2010 Member Posts: 30
I raise my throttle handle in the same position but for example port engine RPM will be at 2500 then starboard RPM will be at 2000  so they are always 500 difference if both throttle handle in the same position. I have to push starboard throttle handle harder in order to maintain 2500 RPM to sync up with port engine.  How to fix it?  Thanks a lot! 

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those tach's have  inaccuracy, you may have to rely on sound. As well as throttle position, will not be the same. Unless you spend the time to adjust throttle linkage.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    ChesapeakeChesapeake Member Posts: 29
    If you have Faria gauges, they are notoriously inaccurate. My sync gauge works fine but the tachs will say they are 500 rpm off.
  • Options
    liuxue2010liuxue2010 Member Posts: 30
    If you have Faria gauges, they are notoriously inaccurate. My sync gauge works fine but the tachs will say they are 500 rpm off.
    Yes, I have the same issue,  the tachometer showing 500 rpm off but it's synced. today I adjust the throttle linkage anf fixed the issue. I also installed Easy Connect and it's working well. Now I know what's my real Engine RPM.  
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Have not done a whole lot of research yet.....splashed my boat yesterday and noticed that my sync gage is not working. Tach's are working somewhat of (Faria's), same as they were last year but sync was working.
    Any idea on where to start?
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Anyone????...lol 
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the connections under the dash. But did you try moving your throttle levers to different positions while at speed? There’s a chance that the levers are off a little and will bring the needle to the middle.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There a blank gauge behind the dash for the sync maybe that has something to do with it.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I have the slightest split with my throttle levers. Should I try to line them up or just live with it? I should’ve took a pic of the tachs, they were pretty much dead even. I did make some cable adjustments the other day to bring my idle down and I think it made the split better, they used to be a little further apart.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    You can get an automotive test meter on amazon pretty cheap.  It keep it on board.  The one I have will let you clip onto the number one cylinder plug wire and get a rpm reading.  I used this to calibrate my faria tach’s. I Am not sure but I think the sync gauge is triggered off of motor vacuum.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    I want to make sure I connected my sync wiring correctly when I replaced my gauge panels. What way should the sync gauge move when the throttles are moved individually?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I know there are two sets of wires so not sure if it works opposite if they are connected wrong.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    aero3113 said:
    I have the slightest split with my throttle levers. Should I try to line them up or just live with it? I should’ve took a pic of the tachs, they were pretty much dead even. I did make some cable adjustments the other day to bring my idle down and I think it made the split better, they used to be a little further apart.
    I thought idle was dictated by the ECU and that there shouldn't be any tension on the throttle body butterfly when at idle.  If the cable is too tight and causing the engine to rev above idle, I would be concerned.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    The cable opened and closes the butterfly, I was able to make a slight adjustment in it seemed to work.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I want to make sure I connected my sync wiring correctly when I replaced my gauge panels. What way should the sync gauge move when the throttles are moved individually?
    If you increase port throttle, sync needle moves towards starboard.  Then to get needle back to middle, increase starboard throttle.
  • Options
    Ok, that’s what I thought was correct, thank you.
    2008 330EC