Options

how often do you change your serpentine belt?part number?

vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I am contemplating changing my belt this weekend on my 270 with 250 hours on it

I have the Volvo 8.1 gi and its a 2007 model

the diagram shows the part number as 3862614 for $36.50

is this the correct part number?

should I wait a little longer or am I about right on the timing for a change out???

thanks,mark

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for fatigue on the belt: cracks, missing rubber etc. That's your best start.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^yup... And do yourself a favor.. keep the aging belt.. it doesn't take up much room, can be kept in the engine compartment w/o worries, and will come in pretty dang handy if the other one ever fails.. one other thing: don't ever put anything on the belt like oil, dressing, wd40, or armor all.. (hey, I know how some of y'all are about your boats, but ain't nobody going to judge you for not having a sparkling belt, but plenty will for being towed back in... Especially if by a jetski).. :-D
  • Options

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    At a minimum, buy the belt now for a spare (gosh, I need to do what I preach!).  I'm all about having spares for anything routine maintenance related.  I've gotta add this one (had one on my prior boat).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Mr. Diamond, that is one cool gadget!!!
  • Options
    Oh... One more thing as silly as it sounds: take a picture of the correct mounting of that belt, and keep it on your phone... Or draw a nice pic on your engine compartment bulkhead with a marker.. some have stickers with the routing, some don't..

Running a water pump backwards is a bad idea.. ask me how I know.. :-D
  • Options
    The number one cause of belt failure: over tensioning!  Hurts the belt, kills what it attaches too (bearings on alternator, waterpump, etc.)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Drew, I thought that was the main reason to have a boat with a second engine! :D (I know, there's one in every crowd)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I've been staring at the transom of my lil' 212 for some time now, trying to figure out how to put another engine in there.... I was about to give up, and then realized.....................

outboards.....

I've got enough room for two outboards on either side of the stern drive................

My God, how fast do you think I can skip across the sound under 600hp?

:-D

there isn't a belt made that could keep me from displaying my manhood with 600hp on a captiva 212...

8-)
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

hey drew,

im just like you.

whenever I decide to disassemble something I always take pictures or video the process.

whether it be a boat a 4 wheeler or a rifle...comes in very handy for reassembly.

I just ordered the belt

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"