Options

2009 Rinker Captiva 192

So I bought my first Rinker used this past winter form an RV dealer in NY.  Motor has less that 100 hours.  Likely has not been running in 7 to 8 years. I had it checked out (plugs and oil etc) before I took her out.  Tech said it ran ok for like 15 mins. Filled up tank with 23 gallons of fresh gas.  Finally got it on the water.  2 things.  One is silly.  Depth finder keeps beeping even when in over 100 foot of water!  Two:  The boat ran like crazy wide open for like 25 mins then started to bog down.  This went on for a few hours on and off till I limped her in.  Wont idle or run low speed to dock.  Marina thinks old gas with moisture in there.  I have had it out 3 times now.  First time added 17 gallons non ethanol. Second time about 8 gallons and third time about the same.  I'm told has a 42 gallon tank.  3.0 Liter 4 cycl.  I added a bottle of quick clean too.  How long until the old gas is gone?  should  I just drain the tank and start fresh?  Any help greatly appreciated just need her to run well soon.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replace the fuel filter and see if that helps.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    33 gallons of gas is a lot to just throw away.  If I thought I had water in my gas I would drain it to separate containers until the boat tank is empty.  The water and gas should separate with the water being in the bottom of the tanks.  You would need about 6 5gallon tanks to do this with 33 gallons.  Skim the good gas (about 4 gallons per tank) back into your boat. 
    Adding a product like heet may also be a way to deal with this and just run the boat until it runs out of gas.  Just be sure to have fresh gas in a spare tank to get back to the dock when you run out. 
    Here is a video about heet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElbgPhujl_M  
    Are you sure the problem is water?  Sometimes if ethanol gas was used and was left to sit your carburetor could get gunked up with evaporated fuel.  A product called SeaFoam would be good to clean the carb. 
    Since the boat runs at wide open throttle I would try the SeaFoam first to see if it improves things.  It only cost about $8 and based on my experience it works to clean carburetors.   
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Replace the fuel filter and see if that helps.
    Agree, the fuel/water separators should be replaced and their contents inspected.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX