Faria tachometer replacement

My erratic Faria tachometers no longer respond to tapping on the face.  I am looking for advise on replacement.  My boat is a 2004 FV312.  I have been following the thread on the Vesselview Mobile app and it looks like the module and cables, junction boxes needed for my boat would put total cost in the $600 range not counting the cost for the Mercury tech to reprogram the CityID on the port engine.  A few questions for those of you that may have more knowledge than me:

1.  Will the Bluetooth module work if mounted in the engine bay versus at the helm.  Mercury’s response to this question was “it is better sending from a module mounted at the helm but you could try as I have heard of other people doing this.”

2.  Has anyone found a non-Faria replacement that doesn’t require a lot of modifications to the helm.

3.  Would I be better off just spending the extra money and installing Vesselview?

TIA.

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I fitted mine in the engine bay of our 2003 310 so very similar to yours and have not had any issue with data dropping off while at helm. I mounted it above the batteries about mid ships, running the harnesses from engines forward using existing battery cable supports made it easy. Perhaps you read my thread on what I did.

Reprogramming the city ID is a 5 minute exercise so it depends how good you get on with your local tech. I had mine assist on a couple of other things I was doing so a “hey, can you plug in for me and change this” wasn’t an issue. He actually plugged into he spare port on the jbox after and could use that versus the diagnostic port and see both at the same time.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I love my vessel view.  But it did require a custom dash.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX