Options

Who boats in the keys?

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
I rented a 20ft hydrosport CC with a t top this year for our florida keys trip.  It did well but after owning cabin cruisers and cabin sailboats all these years i like having amenities like a galley, head, good bimini yop for shade, A/C/generator/ beds for a nap and other home on the water items not going on open bow boats 

The entire week had perfect cruiser conditions on the bay side but Atlantic side was a miserable ride in the CC so we mostly avoided it.  

On my way out of the keys i saw many many cabin cruisers being trailered(only one rinker) in but saw nothing but CC, w/a, sport fishers and a few rental pontoons out on the sand bars/islands.  My cruisers is only a 23.5 so small by many of your standards but we enjoy trailering back and forth to the lake on a weekend basis.  40 bucks to park every weekend for a year.  Dumpsters, bathrooms, showers, rv dump station at the park as well. I may move up to a 26 footer as my tow rig could easily handle it but the 23 footer serves her purpose and was a steal of a deal.  Sleeps 4 but only has storage for 1!

Anyway, once i spend the season/winter modifying and getting maintenance caught up on my cruiser i plan on trailering her down to the keys rather than renting.  Just wanted to see if any of you guys do the same?  

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you plan to live on it or just trailer it around?? Where would you live then?
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I haven't yet because it's a 280 and 9'1" wide, and technically requires a bunch of bureaucratic effort. Might trailer to Marco Island and run down next summer - been talking about that for a year now (vs. a Bahamas run which is just as pretty but requires $$$ in fees).
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your in the keys your basically in the Bahamas...I have not gone down there yet but in my list. My daughter's family just went over to Bimini but the weather looks pretty ruff- not sure it was a good plan. He is experienced so hope he uses good judgement. Most of FL if you run aground it will be sand- not so much in the keys...better to rent with lots of insurance?
  • Options
    With good charts(gps nav) Florida bay is easy to navigate.  Other than a tight channel that wasn't marked at all at the end of a canal ive never feared running aground. Lots of restutants, snorkeling, fishing and sand bars to boat just in the short distance from grass key to the south end of 7 mile bridge.

Plenty of places for fuel as well.

I rent and stay in canal front homes (home base) while the kiddo and i would love to spend a few weeks in the boat cruising down the keys the little lady likes her Wi-Fi and stand up shower. Plus toilets that flush to a septic/sewage system.  Unless it was just my kid and me we'd still rent a home although one could easily launch in miami and motor down to key west staying in marinas or hotels with dockage every night with only overnighing on the hook by choice although during the winter months things book up very quickly. The only off season they really have now is hurricane season.

As for the wide load issue i couldn't count on my hands or toes the amount of boats i saw in the 30 ft range being trailered down there from cabin cruisers to large center consoles.  Traveling on Saturdays i didn't see any of the transport po po only state troopers and local cops looking for speeders.  If im not mistaken many new rvs are 9ft wide technically making them not legal without permits.  I looked into towing with permits before but even with permits unless i completely changed my route and only drobein day light when it wasn't raining id still be in violation in many places. So long as my boat is sub 10 ft, the trailer is top notch i wouldn't think twice to tow down therem. Its all hwy down there, long way down 95 to 1 although i really need to research a bypass around Miami. No offense to any of you from there but that city has to have the worst drivers on earth and this is coming from someone 2 hrs away of Atlanta.  

• Options
    I agree with you about the Miami drivers. Try towing a 40 ft fifth wheel down 95. Its a frickin NASCAR race! Oh and RVs are 102 inch wide max. 😛
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Love the keys. Took my ‘92 260 there in ‘95 and ‘96. 10 day trips from one end to the other and still not enough time. Rented a villa 5 times at the 82mm that had a small private marina which made a great base of operations for day trips in a 19ft runabout. Just bought a ‘06 270 with 350 horizon with intent to spend a month or more down there next year after I get it shaken down and prepared. Planning on towing with permits this time which I did not do on my last 270 as I only towed it 1/2 mile to the launch ramp at Dale Hollow and Lake Monroe (Indiana) not that that made it legal. Got to watch those markers down there. Plenty of skinny water. If you go don’t miss out on the sand bar area at whale harbor. Great place to people watch. And X2 on Handy’s last comment. Scariest stretch of road I have ever experienced in my life.
    -Paul
  • Options
    Thats one of our travel spots durring retirement. There are a few really nice RV parks on the water where we could spend a month or more and rent a boat to fish. Can't wait. April, May and June are off months and good fishing. 
  • Options
    Make sure you book ahead of time from April to June, its not an off season like it once was.  The boat renal shops were all booked up the 1st week of june this year on marathon.  Luckily i booked my rentals back in February.  

The rv parks between marathon and big pine are finally all back open now from what i saw.  Last year several only had iguanas and security in them!
  • Options
    Yes I have rode by them 3 times now. Good news
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    I have mine down in Key Largo. It's in the Keys 100% of the time. We love it and stay mostly bay side.

Cabin cruisers are rare down in the Keys. Most have open fishermans and, frankly, a lot of the Keys are very shallow. If you're going to be boating down here, its GPS/sonar 100% of the time and just accept there will be places you can't get to (e.g., Nest Key).
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Options
    That's what I kind of figured Miami....my son in law ran over to Bimini over the weekend but he also has a off shore center console...not sure what his draft is.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The entire week i was there i wouldn't have ventured far on the ocean side with my cruiser.  Even to just the little islands by the 7 mile judge south of pigeon key ( under the 7 mile bridge and hard right south) it was rough.  Even 2 or 3 days after the front passed the trip from vaca cut to the sand bars towards grass key was less than ideal.  This didnt seem to hinder the rental pontoons. My god i cant believe they rent out pontoons in that kind of chop. There is zero doubt that they all have gps tracking and can be seen making runs to sombrero reef in 3 footers.

A skippers ability has a huge role in the ride comfort thru chop.  I've watched other boaters needlessly pound their hulls while I'm sipping coffee in a boat much less off shore friendly.  Granted im acceleging and decelerating/occasionally chaging courses slightly while they have their throttle mostly likely pegged with a lock on point A to point B.  I have no need to damage kidneys for a few fish.  
  • Options
  • Options
    I feel like i need to keep my sailboat in chuck town to use as a beach condo! 
  • Options
    @Dude_Himself how do you get the stern that close without the tide getting you? Or pushed up on shore from passing boats?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    My guess is that he got as close as he could and the tide went out. Now he has to wait for the tide to go high again before he can leave.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    That can be a bit of a wait!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Min of 3 hours. Depends on where the tide is when you drop anchor. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Stern anchoring has a lot of benefits:
    • Can hear the music and VHF
    • Bow takes wakes created by inconsiderate boaters
    • Easy/safe for passengers to board (especially when you have little kids that need adult supervision at all times)
    • Can leave whenever you want
    • Boat is floating the whole time (if you adjust as the tide rises/falls)
    • Easy access to the grill
    Stern anchored step-by-step:
    1. Drop the bow anchor in about 30' of water while facing the beach, then turn the bow slightly (15° or so) into the wind/current and crab into the beach. This keeps the rode from contacting the hull/prop. A Swab with a boat hook can make this easier, and with all cloth rodes you can even use a stainless steel recovery ring to keep the rode above water near the stern.
    2. Once near the beach Swab steps ashore from the bow with the stern anchor. The stern anchor rode lies alongside the leeward hull - tail secured to a stern cleat.
    3. Swab buries the stern anchor above the high water mark. 
    4. Motor back out (or have swab push) just enough to float the hull. Kill the engine, raise the drive.
    5. Use the windlass to gently turn the boat: raise 3' of bow rode, wait about 10 seconds for the bow to swing, raise another 3'. As the current takes the boat the bow and stern rodes will tension, swinging the boat stern-to shore.
    6. Then it's just a matter of adjusting position by shortening/lengthening the bow and stern rodes, respectively. 
    Boats with all rope rodes have an easier time with this - the chain tends to let my bow wander a bit, whereas all rope rodes are tightened until the boat is mostly stationary. We did this at absolute low tide (planned it that way) so we wouldn't have to babysit the boat as much, but I usually stay nearby in case someone else's anchor pulls.

Once anchored real skinny like this we don't run the motor, the genny, etc. In 4' of water I've sucked sand/mud into the genny. It was a pain to fix. My water intake is on the sterndrive too - so if it's buried in mud under the boat we're stuck unless we can kedge it off.

To weigh anchor with boats packed in on both sides (it happens - folks can be thoughtless)
    1. Attach a tripline to the stern anchor (3/8" poly line to the crown). 
    2. Swab pulls that 3/8" line until the stern anchor is free. 
    3. I start pulling us to the bow anchor with light windlass pressure. 
    4. The instant we're in 5' of water I fire up the engine and use a little bump of forward to relieve the load of the windlass. I think it's critical to have engine power for emergency maneuvering if needed: worse case is we strike the sandy bottom or eat the old stern rode - beats drifting into a $100k boat. 
    5. Swab weighs the stern anchor and secures the trip line, windlass weighs the bow anchor, and we motor out to deeper water.

The only time I've really had an issue was when some really big expensive charter boat ended up 5' abeam us on the leeward of the boat as the tide ran out. Captain of the other boat was rude and on his way to drunk, as were most of his passengers (happens way too often here) because they had gotten beached by the outgoing tide and had a 6 hour party planned to make up for the missed fishing. Current was ripping and there was no way I was going to get the stern anchor back in the boat without drifting into him, and his boat was leaned toward us making it difficult to fend off - his tower was almost leaning over us.

We tied a pile of life vests to the stern anchor, left the Swab on the beach with one for himself, and pulled ourselves out as far as we could with the bow rode. Once under power we dropped the stern rode in the water and motored quickly past the bow anchor before the current would push our stern into the big boat's bow. We weighed the bow then the swab swam out to us with the stern anchor. No good deed goes unpunished: local patrol boat saw us and first commended us on getting out safely, then boarded us for a safety inspection and threatened to write us up for safety - I was on the bow while the boat was under power (in neutral, securing the anchor, with a wrap-around bow rail). Always carry the state's safe boating guide and laws with you - it saved me a court appearance.
  • Options
    And a great Boat US video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihr4PaGTves

They don't have 50' of chain on the front - I'm not sure how I'd get that and the anchor to the stern to pay out like they do.
  • Options
    Last thought - I guess if I had a beefier stern anchor I could drop the stern in deep water, drop the bow on the beach, then just secure them to opposite ends of the boat. It wouldn't be as easy to depart though - having the electric windlass to pull you out makes it possible to do single handed, or with a smart kid (the 9 year old anchored the boat next to us).
  • Options
    You guys and your windlass issues.