Options

How/Where do you store your isinglass when you're not using it?

McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
Right now when I taking my boat out for the day I carefully take each piece of isinglass off and lay it on my aft cabin mattress. It's time consuming and a PITA at times but the biggest inconvenience is taking up the whole aft mattress. I thought about getting some foam noodles and start rolling them up and see if that works but was curious what everyone else is doing. 

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I lay ours on the v berth

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I lay ours flat.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    What model boat do you have? On my 342 I take mine and roll it up and put it under the stern seat. They all fit in there nice....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    This is a reprint from 2014 when I still had my 342.

LaRea wrote:
    Laying the windows flat on a bed will definitely minimize scratching and creasing, but then you lose use of the bed.  I stored mine using custom-made canvas bags, and it worked great.  Here's how:

1) Get a 10-foot length of 6" diameter corrugated plastic pipe ($8 at Lowes/Home Depot, normally used to drain rainwater away from your gutters).  This pipe will serve as a core around which you will roll your windows.  The tube prevents the roll from collapsing and making creases in your windows.

2) Cut the tube into two pieces:  one for the windows forward of the radar arch, one for the windows aft of the arch.  

3) Cover each tube with cotton sheet or towels secured by cable ties.

4) Roll the windows around the tube -- not too tight.  

5) Measure the length and diameter of each bundle, and get a canvas maker to build canvas bags for them.  The bag is just a canvas tube, closed on one end with a draw-string at the other end.  Bonus:  Add a canvas handle along the middle of the bag.  

5) Roll the windows around the tube, put the bundle inside the canvas bag, and stow it under a settee or wherever makes sense.

This approach works well because (1) no creases, (2) protected from scratching, 3) easy to them move around, and (4) compact and easy to store.  I stored them under the port side settee on my 342.
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    @raybo3 I have a 342, do you use anything to roll them up? 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made fabric pockets for each piece. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @raybo3 I have a 342, do you use anything to roll them up? 
    No I am just very careful with them and never had a problem. I put the glass on top of the canvas and then put a piece of canvas on top. Kind of like a sandwich. Never a problem.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I do same as raybo 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    If it's a short trip, I leave the connector on the roof.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For short trips with good weather it goes flat in the back of my truck under the tonneau. If I feel the need to bring it along it goes flat in the aft cabin. I never take my main top connector off, we like the shade.
    I like the pool noodle idea, just don't see it really saving me much space and more work.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @dalek - doesn't the glass get scratched up folding back that way?  I've had my windshield glass for 3 years and it's pretty much already shot.  I have to replace it next season.  I never remove it and take pretty good care of it too.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    @dalek - doesn't the glass get scratched up folding back that way?  I've had my windshield glass for 3 years and it's pretty much already shot.  I have to replace it next season.  I never remove it and take pretty good care of it too.
    No obvious problems with scratches. On my boat I seem to get a lot more issues with zippers. Maybe I'm just cack-handed.
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    For front center panel and rear panels, I roll up and leave attached like photo from @dalek.  But what I learned over the years, it's critical each is washed before rolling.  Any grit on it will scratch it really quick with all the vibration under way.

Paul