Burn rate

IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
Thought I’d share recent observations after adding VesselView Mobile to our 2003 FV310 with 5.0MPI and B3’s. Gave her a good run yesterday while watching VVM and observed:

a) 37 MPH (GPS ground speed) had a 16GPH burn on each engine
b) 30 MPH had a 12.5GPH burn on each
c) With a 165 gallon tank, theoretical distance at 37MPH at just over 5 hours on plane and 190 miles
d) With a 165 gallon tank, theoretical distance at 30MPH with 6.6 hours on plane and 198 miles
e) So more travel time at the slower rate - and who doesn’t want to be on the water more - but little more distance from the tanks.

Interesting, all in theory of course, full tanks will burn more at first (I had about 110 in the tanks), conditions and where we are you’re lucky to get 30 minutes full time on plane but at least I have an idea of how she burns. I do want to look at some other speeds and burn to find the sweet spot for our typical use but thought I’d share, interested in other observations from these of you with the ability to read burn rate.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My engine won't support VV and no flow meter but I track my hours and always fill the tank full so can calculate average burn per hour. This would include everything from idling out of the harbour to getting on plane etc. I almost always cruise at 3200 to 3400 RPM at about 24 mph.
    5.7L EFI and B3 in a FV270 and I'm consistently at 5 USG per hour.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were you all trimmed out? Drives too? Whats the burn at your minimum plane speed??