Options

Windlass wont go down- 350 EC

Hoping someone can help- out windlass will not go down unless manually released - goes up without probs.
Looking for the solenoids or control box

Any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isnt it set up like a tilt/trim and has 2 solenoids?   If so swap the 2.  If the down works now and the up doesnt you know it's the solenoid.  On tilt/trim a simple lawnmower solenoid works as a cheap replacement until a high amp can be ordered although i used an aftermarket lawn mower solenoid for glow plug activation on a 3.9 turbo diesel for years but it wont have the marine certification.

There is a way to bench test solenoids with a test light or multi meter but you need to know some 12v basics to do so. Lots of solenoid test videos on YouTube for mowers im sure if you want to gain a bit of diy diagnostic knowledge.
  • Options
    dale332dale332 Member Posts: 23
    Hoping someone can help- out windlass will not go down unless manually released - goes up without probs.
    Looking for the solenoids or control box

Any ideas??
    did you find the issue? im having same issue and i dont think its the switch or solenoids i rewired the switch to reverse the (up/down) and the switch works correctly... however the anchor just wont go down unless i go up and loosen nut and manually drop it. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried to jump the down solenoid? Get access to the solenoid and jump it just to make sure that’s not the problem.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What model windlass do you have?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Have you tried to jump the down solenoid? Get access to the solenoid and jump it just to make sure that’s not the problem.
    i have an 01 340 FV and it is a horizon 600 windlass... there is no external solenoid. the wiring goes directly from the breaker to the switch to the motor. i thought the same thing originally and after hours of research followed by wire tracing i confirmed this to be true. however, i did rewire the switch backwards.. up is down down is up, and i could use the switch in reverse and the problem is still the same... (original problem being windlass would go up when pushing switch up but nothing happened when pushing switch down,- with switch reversed windlass would go up when i push the switch down but nothing would happen when i push the switch up) if that makes sense? hope i explained it correctly---- so i think i confirmed its not the switch or the wiring--- im open to suggestions tho before i drop 800 on a new windlass 

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    What model windlass do you have?
    horizon 600
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there a clutch adjustment within the windlass? Maybe that needs adjustment. When you say it won't go down is nothing happening not even a clicking noise?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    correct, i dont even think there is a clicking noise. if there is it is very faint. and on this particular windlass no there is no clutch adjustment aside from the nut on the side loosen it and it will free fall and it falls down no problem... the motor just wont go in reverse or "down" and from my experience with a 12v electric motor if it will work one way, reverse the polarity it should work the opposite way thats what has me stumped... 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an issue with my old Lewmar where the gear (part #10) would seize to the base of the motor, causing it to only work in the 'up' direction.  I had to take it apart once a season and unseize it and then grease it.  

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking maybe a relay within the motor but either way you may be best served to remove and refurbish.
    1997 Bayliner 3988