Options

Crash

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
Now I know this is not someone in a Rinker....lol
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Anyone heard the story on what went wrong? To be that wrong I would imagine some mechanical failure? Loss of control?
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW....

Being a little OCD and while fighting our boats huge freeboard in a strong current or crosswind with only a single engine and no bow thruster, I always imagine that's how my upcoming docking maneuver will end.  8-X

Luckily it never happens quite like that.... :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TikiHut2 said:
    WOW....

Being a little OCD and while fighting our boats huge freeboard in a strong current or crosswind with only a single engine and no bow thruster, I always imagine that's how my upcoming docking maneuver will end.  8-X

Luckily it never happens quite like that.... :D
    I watched some poor dude barely twenty at the ramp just last week, in high winds and very strong currents, and while 'leading' his band of passengers which included his GF, his buddies and their GF's, and what turned out to be his GF's mother have one heckuva time trying to load up...

he was in one of those Bayliner Pilot House looking things, with a pretty vertical freeboard.. both the wind and the current was having it's way with him...

after a bit, he simply drifted down to the dock maybe twenty yards away and tied off, allowing me to motor up to him... they were all watching as I backed the trailer down, walked back over to the same pier he was tied up to, jumped in the boat and put it up to the winch on the first try... he was catching some serious ribbing from his people..

after I loaded, I walked back over and explained to them the reason he was having issues, and I didn't go into mistakes, in effort to save some of this dude's pride... first up, he was spinning a three blade at a pretty high trim due to the depth of the channel (varying between 2~3.5'), which is tricky at really low speeds (idle).. next, the current was pushing his sharper cut V easier than mine, and then the obvious wind.. I left out that he had her trimmed too high, and that his approach was with the rip as opposed to against it.. poor dude..

We let out some rope, and led his rig over to the ramp by hand, lined her up and cranked her on.. that was a good thing, because we let one of the loudest ribbers hold the upwind line, to feel exactly how strong that wind and current was..

it's been my observation more than experience (thank God), that it takes a little bit of reckless abandon and knowing your boats characteristics to motor in such conditions.... the poor feller in the video was being pushed by a tug who had no line of sight behind that rig, which was his first mistake.. it almost appeared the vessel was fighting the tug nearing the shoreline, and losing.
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    yeah... it does look like the tug boat was pushing him into the dock, and then not letting him out!!
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

with Google's help:

Cement boat to be docked in harbor Levanger and when it should lay out from the dock, hit the marina and between 10 and 15 leisure boats.

- Cement boat embarked from the wharf and had problems because of a bow thruster failure. Although the boat had a tug to assist him, went into the back of the marina and destroyed the docks and several boats, win bet leader Per Henrik Bykvist by Levanger sheriff's office to NRK.no.

Damage in the millions