Options

Hailer / vhf options

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Is anyone running a VHF with hailer function?

I'm going to upgrade my radio and am thinking about getting one with hailer / PA ability.

This past weekend...had an incident where I was returning to my slip and a neighboring boat was leaving and though not a big deal and we communicated...I think it would be nice to be able to jump on the PA to communicate.

But I don't want to be fiddling around with menu buttons to get the radio in that mode...are there any options where the PA is a "hot" button...as in a single button that puts the radio into that mode?

Thoughts would be appreciated.
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a Standard Horizon 2150 for the AIS functions.  It has a hailer so I added a hailer horn to my radar arch.  I have a PA soft key to get to the PA function on the VHF.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,572 mod
    On my ICOM 604, it's two button presses ("Function" "Hailer").  But the 604 is now out of production, replaced by the 605 which requires a menu dance.  Not to mention it's big and stupid-expensive. 

I do like having the hailer.  BTW it also functions as a listening device.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...I'll checking into the standard horizon line...sounds like that's pretty close what I'm looking for.  Thanks @Stodge and @LaRea
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3