Options

Water Heater Question from a Newby

Good day folks. New to cruising with an '06 "320". Trying to understand how the water heater works. The reason is it works fine on shore power but at anchor it is stalling or at least putting a huge load on the generator even with other circuits switched off. The answer may be simple but, as mentioned, I am new to cruising (not boating) and can't seem to figure out why the factory generator, which runs everything else fine, cannot seem to cope with the water heater. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Does the genny run fine under other huge loads?  Like AC and range at same time?  And welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May have to check the amp load on the element. Other then that the heater is very simple. Power goes though the t-sat then the eco sat then the element. The element is fearly cheap 50 bucks or so if I remember correctly.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    look for a
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The water heater should heat water via the engine while out. It should keep the water warm for a few hours while on the hook.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 2
    Thanks All. Much appreciated. Turns out it will run on the genny with other major circuits closed(A/C). The groaning stopped after 30 seconds or so. I just wasn't waiting for long enough for the generator to catch up. And yes, it was plumbed to have the water heated with the port engine running. Thanks again!