Engine oil

caik01caik01 Member Posts: 39
I left for a few day trip and prior to leaving checked my engine oil and all was good. After running for 30 minutes I lost my Port motor and checked the oil again and both motors were dry. I have no oil in my bilge. What's the issue?

Comments

• McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Both motors had no oil at all or was just low? Did you just do an oil change before leaving? 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    If you checked the oil before you left and the levels were good, the oil had to have gone somewhere.  No place for it to go other than the bilge unless you are burning a s-load of oil from both motors.  You didn't pump it overboard did you?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    When was the last time you ran the boat before this?
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That catastrophic had to be a leak that was pumped overboard, in which case you'll want to keep your mouth shut about...  You would have noticed the exhaust no way around it if you burned that much.  

Both engines?  

Weird. 

Being both there is either treachery or opposite-of-smart-and-from-behind-just-below-belt going on.  Filters on engines? Seated? If remote filter, lines intact?  No low oil warning?  Even thunderbolt ignitions pay homage to low oil pressure sensor and kill engines when it drops.  Something mighty strange going on, pard.  
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    That would be a ton of oil pumped overboard and still you would see some residual oil in the bilge that didn't get picked up by the pumps.  Did you check the bilge all the way back by the drain plug?  Any oil there? 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you let the oil settle once you shut down the engines? You can get a false reading if you check to quickly. 
    2008 330EC
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    you could have blown a head gasket and it could have pi$$ed out your cooling system. I would think you would notice the smoke or steam... or the zero oil pressure in your gauges. Or someone forgot to put oil back into the engine after a oil change. Or it leaked out the pan and then out your bilge. Would be CRAZY odd both engines would fail.. I would guess someone forgot to add oil after a oil change.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only guess would also be an oil change and no oil put back in and what you saw on the dipstick was residual from the old oil. Still really odd though..m

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say you're losing oil to exhaust.  A poorly seated piston ring can consume a lot of oil. With my first engine, there was a problem with a ring and I'd lose a quart of oil in about 3 hours of operation at cruise speed.

Not sure how long you ran for, or how big the leak could be, but you could easily lose a lot of oil if a ring isn't seated.  I had NO signs of oil loss, no smoke, no slick ... it only seemed to happen when I was cruising.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"