Options

vovlo or mercrusier

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking at a couple of 270's...one has the Volvo and the other a mercrusier which begs the question, is the Volvo a plus or a minus? I've had a couple of merc boats, had no issues but no experience or have know anyone with the Volvo.......comments??

Comments

• Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    I've never had a Volvo but I can't imagine they make a bad product or they wouldn't be used.
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited July 2013
    Before I bought a Volvo look around where you boat see if anyone works on them and if parts are available where I boat it's a Mercruiser World I've seen Volvo's set for an extended period of time for lack of mechanic knowledge and lack of parts. I'm not cutting them down just saying how it is in Kentucky & Tennessee
    One thing I don't like about a Volvo is you have to pull them to check your gear lube the dip stick is on the drive under water.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Hey rasbury welcome to the RBOC. I think you gave yourself the answer. "I've had a couple of merc boats, had no issues". Why change? I would never own a VP.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Raybo... go Merc...
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I had Volvo on my 270 and it was great. I have mercs now and they have been great too. Both are fine in my mind and it comes down to are they supported in your area. Just stay away from the Volvo XDP drive.
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I gotta agree, stay away from the XDP drive.  I just recently changed out our XDP's out for the OceanX drives.  And two new engines to replace our 7 year old 280 hp veterans.  I think we have a couple of winners now.  They have only 4 hours on them so they and we are virgins with each other.  For that short time in our experience, they are awesome.

Back to your question,  avoid the XDP but any of the Volvo marinazed GM engines would be just fine if they have been maintained to any reasonable standard.

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    When buying used, I'd treat them as equals. Go for the boat that's had the better care. When new, and if services locally, I'd give a slight preference to the Volvos. Essentially the same difference between an Acura and a Honda. Same guts but ones got more bells and whistles.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

I've had both at one time or another.  I've even had an OMC electric shift stringer drive but I digress...........

When comparing the Volvo SX drive to the Merc Alpha 1, I'll take the Volvo any day.  In your case, you're probably not looking at these anyway so my point is moot.  Engines in either case are similar.  The deciding factor for me would be local parts availability as previously mentioned by Boomer.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Al, I have always respected your opinions but on this one I beg to differ. If any boat manufacturer bought enough engines in bulk I am sure they would get a cut rate deal. maybe vp had a large inventory and had to close thier year end. so they cut a deal with rinker to unload their inventory. if thats the case good for rinker as that holds thier costs down. but I dont think they make cheap engines? they wouldnt be in business. for the most part the engines are the same except for some of the marine outer stuff. I will agree a merc is less expensive to maintain as the parts are less expensive so does that make merc cheap? I dont think so.... its really about how boat owners take care and maintain their equipment. many new boaters buy thinking they have a car and never open the hood and run the heck out of them! also both vp and merc have had their issues over the years. vp and the xdp & merc with the b3 corrosion and gimbal issues.

respectfully

LG
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the input- I will do a lot of the regular service myself and since I already know the Merc and have a Merc dealer down the street, I think I will lean towards the Merc.  If I find the right boat and it looks like it's been cared for, I'll decide when I see it as it sounds like they are on pretty even footings with those that have had both...I'll lean towards the Merc however....thanks for the input!  I hope to have a Rinker under foot within a month or so.....going to sw Fl on vacation with my Tahoe and then on  Boattrader it goes!