2»

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    After posting it is all clear
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    Looking for a class C motor home.   Not new, 26’-28’.  Ford Chassis 450.   V10 or 460     No slides  generator is a must.   
    Now your hooked
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    How's that Solitude rig holding up Handy?  Any issues pop up yet?  I have an older Jayco Eagle 5th wheel that I upgraded ALL the furniture in when I bought it. Really freshened up the interior.  I have always kept what I call a "junk box" of random plumbing parts, and various things like a spare water pump, hose clamps, etc.....better to HAVE it with ya is my motto...
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Lake_Bum said:
    How's that Solitude rig holding up Handy?  Any issues pop up yet?  I have an older Jayco Eagle 5th wheel that I upgraded ALL the furniture in when I bought it. Really freshened up the interior.  I have always kept what I call a "junk box" of random plumbing parts, and various things like a spare water pump, hose clamps, etc.....better to HAVE it with ya is my motto...
    It don't break if it don't move. Lol
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Handy also need to tow 10,000 lbs.   our last Motor home was a class A with a 454 that I swapped out and slipped in a Mercruiser 502. This towed our Jeep all over the country to events and rides.  
    You need a diesel pusher to tow that weight
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    That 502 has a much better torque range than a diesel.   Granted the new diesels a far more powerful than  the days of the 7.3/12v.

That 502 will pull just as good from the traffic light as she will at 75
  • Options
    That 502 has a much better torque range than a diesel.   Granted the new diesels a far more powerful than  the days of the 7.3/12v.

It's the frame and braking that mostly defines the towing capacity
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

It's the frame and braking that mostly defines the towing capacity

My comment had nothing to do with towing capacity.   My comparison  was both getting from the from the on ramp  at 10 mph accelerating to 75mph and then keeping 75mpg while pulling the grade.  

Many times a diesel motor option lowers overall towing capacity as it can add hundreds of lbs of weight over the gas v8 option. 

My bosses new 250 has the 7.3 gasser.  I was very impressed with the  performance with the equipment.  I was not impressed with the 10 mpg
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't have the pluses without the minuses...look at the f159 lightning,  future game changer here almost today...
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    I just heard that Grand Design, by Winnebago was voted the best RV plant to work at.  Aka the Happiest workers.     This is probably why Grand Design is the absolute best production towable 5 th wheel 
    There are other more expensive custom built units that are better. But for the money they are ok. I have heard that the units aren't as good post Covid. 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    For Grand Tour - Top Gear fans.....RV's

https://youtu.be/xAW_lkYoRWI

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    I just heard that Grand Design, by Winnebago was voted the best RV plant to work at.  Aka the Happiest workers.     This is probably why Grand Design is the absolute best production towable 5 th wheel 
    There are other more expensive custom built units that are better. But for the money they are ok. I have heard that the units aren't as good post Covid. 
    I cannot recall the show, but it was sort of a documentary on the different levels of RV's and how much what is considered "high end" and "budget" have in common.  It was pretty eye opening on how overpriced they are.  A simple upgrade in countertops, lighting, and colors affects prices in a BIG WAY.   
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Same with boats. Corian costs a lot more than a laminate countertop. But then again, it does look better.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice...roll it onto a pontoon barge and ya got a house boat!
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Well.....I've joined "Darth Handy" on the Dark Side. 😆. We've been considering it since we're between boats. And things just kind of fell in our lap. This popped up online and the deal looked too good to be true, a year old and almost half the price of a new one. Was sceptical but the story is the fellow met a girl from Brazil and they married. She applied to emigrate but was turned down because some dweeb lost her paperwork so she has to go back to Brazil and Hubby is fire-saling everything to join her. And it worked out because it's our annual deer hunt and our accommodations fell through at the last minute, so here I am, camping in November. Giving the propane furnace a workout. 
    Too small Will
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small, yes. Too small, naah. It suits our purpose for now and paid cash. This is just a weekend/occasional getaway. I researched the retirement RV thing and even have a good buddy in Texas right now that lives full-time in a 34' 5th wheel. We're thinking condo in a few years.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice set up Will 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Small, yes. Too small, naah. It suits our purpose for now and paid cash. This is just a weekend/occasional getaway. I researched the retirement RV thing and even have a good buddy in Texas right now that lives full-time in a 34' 5th wheel. We're thinking condo in a few years.
    If I can live on a 27 ft rinker you could live in that for sure. Less upkeep too!! Very nice. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Not what they meant by “dip your lights”…

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/