fuel line size

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
So I'm guessing the Rinker and Crownline have similar fuel systems. When I had the boat surveyed they recommended replacing the ~18" fuel line that goes from the tank to the filter housing because it was over 10 years old. I had cut a short piece off the end awhile back and today I went to the local boat shop and showed him the piece and he said it was 3/8's. He cut a piece for me but when I got to the boat it looked a little smaller O.D. and the I.D looked a little smaller too. We had a heck of a time getting that one on that is on there and the one he sold me was even a little smaller. Any idea what size this might be? Do they ever use a 7/16", or even a 1/2" ID? It's a 2006 with a 5.7 Merc with the 2 bbl TKS carb. It has an electric fuel pump so not sure that that would matter. I didn't even try to get that one on today.

Comments

• boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    hmmm....looks a little smaller than what I have on there. The one on there has the red stripe. The one the dealer sold me doesn't have that. Is there a difference?
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Red stripe means under-deck rated. The old line could have swelled from ethanol exposure or age.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm pretty sure that red stripe indicates A2 (or is it R2?) rated fuel line- USCG approved.  I'm pretty sure anything else is auto parts store procured off the spool/reel out back.  how important is it?  depends on how thorough the coastie is inspecting your boat during a boarding most importantly, i'd guess, and how quickly/much change you want to accumulate in the jar before cashing it in.  Blue lines are exhaust rated IIRC... there is one for coolant/cooling, too, iirc....  
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    the one they sold me says ABYC on it but no red striping. My fuel fill hose has the red stripe and the one I'm referring to here has a red stripe. The surveyor said they are only rated for 10 years so recommending me replacing it. Since I'm dealing with other fuel related issues figured I might as well change it now too. If it isn't the correct one then it isn't going on.