Capsized boat and rescue on Lake Michigan (Chicago)

TonyG13TonyG13 ChicagoPosts: 205Member ✭✭✭
We were out at the same time -- but about two miles south - when this happened...

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/8-rescued-on-lake-michigan-when-boat-overturns-near-diversey-harbor

All I can say is I hope folks will:

1. Read the marine weather reports/forecasts BEFORE going out and plan accordingly.

2. Know you and your boat's limitations BEFORE you go out.

Comments

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Greenwood Lake NY Posts: 655Member ✭✭✭
    Lucky no one got hurt,things can turn in a second .i know someone who was boating on lake George.he had a deck boat .the boat was overloaded and he was inexperienced was traveling forward ,stopped ,threw it in reverse and the wake came right over the stern and it just got worse from there .the boat sunk and they swam to shore .lucky no one was hurt .He is no longer a boater 
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 2,561Member ✭✭✭✭
    Very small craft for Lake M, 
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
  • TonyG13TonyG13 ChicagoPosts: 205Member ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Very small craft for Lake M, 
    We are seeing more small (18' and smaller) boats, especially open bow, and lots more pontoons, on Lake Michigan. It's been trending that way for a few years.
  • boatman37boatman37 Posts: 235Member ✭✭
    So the boat is sinking but not everyone has a life jacket on? Tells me they probably didn't have enough life jackets onboard. Likely inexperienced captain. 90% of the time it is just me and my wife and we keep our life jackets in the cockpit within reach and if we have anybody with us we get life jackets out for them and tell them to make sure they are adjusted for them and they also get put up in the cockpit.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Posts: 2,247Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've taken a jetski 16 miles off shore before with no issues.  i once passed a 14 or so foot john boat with a >25hp tiller driven outboard and a single 6gallon tank heading further offshore than the three or so miles i was off shore and heading in- how he cleared the inlet is still a mystery... i've been on 16~21' center consoles as much as 30miles offshore... i've lapped the island in my rinker- a 212... again, zero issues. 

it's not about vessel- if you're relying on the vessel then you're likely ill equipped to captain on even a pond... it ain't the 'skill' alone either- if you take a john boat 3+ miles offshore in anything greater than 3' you also deserve being dropped into a desert for the rest of your years, too... it's about having just marginally good sense, plain and simple.. knowing your limits and the limits of your boat.  hedging your bet by having life saving items at hand... and acting accordingly. 

a dude lost his boat this weekend.  it sank while being anchored in the sound.  i don't know the story yet, but i am assured through the filter of observation accumulating into experience, that there is a fair amount of dumb-backside-ery involved, and just as certain as with the story of this Lake Michigan boat.    
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,582Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missing the bilge plug I bet. lol

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • skennellyskennelly ChicagoPosts: 1,365Member ✭✭✭
    Here's another happening from this weekend.

In case you don't notice that boat is under power.  There's a video, but only on facebook.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 5,250Member, Moderator mod
    Wholly crap!  That's a person on the back!!  Looks like they are holding the mat?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,350Member ✭✭✭✭
    What!!!!
    Had a pontoon try to launch over the Holland, MI pier on Sat. lol. Didn’t quite make it. Broad daylight too. 

Cannot fix stupidity,  

2003 - 270
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 3,449Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two people died here on a jet-ski last week.  Left a party at 1:30 AM and hit a nav aid ... no PFDs.  Ignorance like that is just unimaginable.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2019/07/03/man-woman-die-water-scooter-accident-maryland/?utm_term=.eda40479cb6a
    Wave runners do not have lights on them............................

2003 - 270
    LaRea said:
    Two people died here on a jet-ski last week.  Left a party at 1:30 AM and hit a nav aid ... no PFDs.  Ignorance like that is just unimaginable.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2019/07/03/man-woman-die-water-scooter-accident-maryland/?utm_term=.eda40479cb6a
    Interesting how the story states: "Boaters should also avoid operating watercraft while impaired and ensure vessels are equipped to be taken on the water at night if used after sunset."

The reporter should have noted that in Maryland - as well as in all Federally regulated waters - PWCs cannot be operated between sunset and sunrise.
    1:30am and not sure if alcohol was involved. lol. 

• shawnmjrshawnmjr Detroit MIPosts: 1,339Member ✭✭✭✭
    A little off topic but read about the idiot in this news report. 

Missing swimmer found alive jumped from moving boat on Lake St. Clair, leaving woman behind http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/missing-swimmer-found-alive-jumped-from-moving-boat-on-lake-st-clair-leaving-woman-behind
    skennelly said:
    Saw that on the news this morning. Sad. Would be interesting to find out more details, since it's almost impossible to hit the jetty itself. Those jetties have off-shore seiche cables attached to sunken telephone poles, so I think they had to hit that first. The other odd thing is the boat would have had to be traveling perpendicular to shore (basically heading straight to shore to hit any of this stuff). A normal heading would not take you close to these.

• earl1z19earl1z19 Posts: 53Member ✭✭
    Did anyone notice that one of the victims is being assisted to shore while he holds his cell phone in his hand?
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,350Member ✭✭✭✭
    earl1z19 said:
    Did anyone notice that one of the victims is being assisted to shore while he holds his cell phone in his hand?
    Yes, I saw that. I was shaking my head.
    They also said sailboat...must have been travelling at quite a clip to throw someone off the boat.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Charleston, SCPosts: 528Member ✭✭✭
    That was a cuddy cabin or express cruiser.
    @Dude_Himself - Correct...the news reported incorrectly.  I just read an update.  I also heard they were inside "no boating" buoys when it happened.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Greenwood Lake NY Posts: 655Member ✭✭✭
    No detector Sad

2003 - 270
    Another boat hit the breakwall in Chicago tonight...

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-firefighters-3-pulled-lake-michigan-still-in-water-512870381.html

This year is getting crazy.
    @TonyG13 - I was going to post that one...it's sad that we are seeing who can post these quicker.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    skennelly said:
    @TonyG13 - I was going to post that one...it's sad that we are seeing who can post these quicker.
    Probably the only reason I beat you was I happened to drive by Buckingham Fountain/Queen's Landing as the rescue was going on.

I have a sad feeling, with the high water levels, we will be reporting on a lot more of these before the summer is over.

Combine darkness, lack of local knowledge, speed, and probably alcohol -- and it's inevitable.
    Every one preventable. Easily. I didn’t even see any family worried about that kid. Someone needs to clue them floaties are not pfd’s. Lucky kid.