Options

Some moisture in lube monitor.

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
as some may remember when I drained my stbd drive in feb I had some water, but found the vent screw on the drive was loose. Had tech vacuum and pressure test which came back good. Replaced all plug screws and washers with oem. I ran 1 qt of lube through to try to flush out water left. Cleaned out monitors well w spirts. 
Now that I have 5 hours on this year I checked and found this. It really is very little but has me concerned. Could this be some residual from last year or a leak? Was thinking I’d suck this out, fill monitor with new and continue to watch it. The level has gone up 1/4” since launch but it’s also a lot hotter now than launch in early May.  
I’m not afraid to pull the boat and have it re sealed but of course I’d rather do it this winter.

its just these two small lines in the corners that are white other side of monitor has no sign of moisture, it’s not piled up at the bottom. 

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would not bother me, cannot see it, maybe you can with eye up close. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I would not be worried 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't see any thing need more hours
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thanks, will keep an eye on it. May suck out the monitors and re fill so they are clean.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    So on Friday I sucked out those traces of moisture that I saw and put in some fresh lube so she looked good and clean. Ran the boat today just a short run to and from the beach. 6 miles each way tops. Checked the monitor just now and see this:

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Not good 
    deff need to check the drive out 
  • Options
    Yea I think we need to be pulled out and re sealed 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does not look good...sorry...
  • Options
    Any other concerns or should this just be a typical drive re seal? I think al said he does them for $500 or so. 

• Options
    I payed 600 a couple years ago. When its disassembled they will check it over then you should be ok. Really only way water can get it is the lower seals right on the prop shaft. 
  • Options
    Thanks. The marina where I winter is going to do it next week. I’ll have to motor over to them Sunday but its just a few miles across the bay. Thinking I can still use the leaky drive in and out of the docks but will just motor across on one engine. He said I will be inside for the week and he will test and check everything over. Not fun but have to get er done. 

• Options
    Was a nice ride across the bay with the admiral last night. We went 7mph on the "good" engine. My plan was to use both in and out of the docks but shut down the stbd with the drive leak while we went across. Well, my power steering is on the stbd side so I left it running but in neutral. We got over just fine. Haul out this morning....

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope on the way back you get up on plane and roll with it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Good luck with the repair, the way back will be much faster for sure
  • Options
    Got an update. The stbd (leaking) drive had a crack in the top cap of the drive. There is an O ring under that so he is replacing the cap and the o ring, my heard sank when he said he found a crack but the part is less than $100. Then he is of course replacing the prop shaft inner seal and the bearing carrier. Should settle the stbd drive. Lube was very discolored with water.

I had asked him to check the port drive's gimbal bearing while its out as it was just starting to sound odd. He said water was in it from the bellow leaking and water was evident on the U joint/yoke (U joint is fine, just wet). He said the gimbal bearing which is only 18 months old is fine but he needs to confirm the leak and likely replace the bellow (which only has 2 seasons on it).

And of course one of my Lenco actuators was bad which I could tell as it didnt work so he is swapping that out for me.

fun fun.....

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could have been much worse...
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I had that about the second year of ownership, wasn’t impressed. Seems there is a weak point in the mounting that will crack if cranked too tight.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/