Options

Battery Issues

tazataza Member Posts: 64 ✭✭

Guys any help appreciated.

Checked voltage at alternator 14.4v at the battery only reads 13v,also tried to lift & lower the engine hatch using a good battery on the hatch overrides, My boat is a 2007 Rinker Express 280 Volvo Penta 5.7ltr Engine

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    So your batteries are dead and you can't get the hatch open...even using the hatch overrides?

a little more explanation would help.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    They were drained to the point the engine wouldn’t start, but just enough to open the hatch.
    once I got them fully charged and read up on how to open engine hatch in the event of flat battery I thought I would have a go opening the hatch via the override connections but it wouldn’t work ? 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    The hatch overrides work to open and close the hatch based on what terminals you put the positive and negative battery connections to.  One way will open the hatch and reversing it will close it.  Perhaps you were trying to close it.  Was it making any sounds?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Tried it both ways no sound at all, I had the hatch half way open when I tried this 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe a fuse to the motor 
  • Options
    It works on the switch 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I think the "+" and "-" are misleading suggesting that's the only way to connect - reverse the connection and it should operate if all is well. Perhaps crack it open a few inches first the regular way then try swapping around. If nothing there must be another issue between the poles and the drive connections.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Going back the boat this weekend will check the wiring 👍
  • Options
    Anyone any idea why the high voltage drop at the batteries ? 
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    perhaps your battery islolater. Check it with a diode function on your multimeter
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    I love google 👍 just had a look how to check 
    thanks guys
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sorted the problem out with the issue with the hatch override studs, on the Rinker Electrical drawing it shows the studs  wired straight to the motor, but after investigating there are two fuses one on each supply + & - the fuse had gone on the negative side 👍

also checked the isolator with multi meter set on diode check, readings both fine 👍