Options

Captiva 232 Engine Compartment

timchuck69timchuck69 Member Posts: 1
Just curious if anyone know if the shocks that used on the engine compartment (cushioned lid) should hold it up?  I have to put an additional pole in the keep it up when I need to access the engine area.  My guess is these shocks are blown and should keep it up on their own.  This is a 1999 model.

Comments

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2000, and they definitely are strong enough to hold it up with no problem.  Yours are probably blown.  I'd rather fix the existing ones, than add a 3rd if I was you! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    They should keep it up. Take them to any auto parts store and they should be able to match them up and get you some new ones. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a number on the shock google it should be around 20bucks.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    cdub88cdub88 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I just ran out to check ours (we have a '96) and it has two SpringLift SL36 shocks. That should get you 50% of the way there.

Mine also have "307/95 G" printed on there, but my Google-Fu hasn't come up with a match in terms of how many lbs. of force they have.
    1996 Captiva 232
  • Options
    Mishael_232_CCMishael_232_CC Member Posts: 2

I have the same problem, but I’m thinking of exchanging for supports from the back cover of the car. They are more hardy ... just find the right length and weight ..