Options

Rinker boats good for salt water

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a 2019/2020 Ringer 320 Express.  I noticed the company is in Indiana and it appears the majority of the boats are built for the lakes.  Can anyone give me the pro/con on getting a Rinker for salt water use?  I live in Orlando, Florida and plan to use it/indoor storage in a Cocoa Beach marina.  Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Blows away any SeaRay. Rinker is a great boat for fresh or salt water. I have a 2002 342FV. I keep it in salt water and zero problems caused by salt water.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I think people argue what's a salt water boat based on the propulsion system.  Stern drives bad for salt water vs inboards vs outboards.  The reality is it's all about how you care for your boat and maintain all it's systems.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the corrosion protection is as good as boats built for off shore but in hindsight I wouldnt buy another Rinker if I lived in Florida
  • Options
    aacrodaacrod Member Posts: 3
    .raybo3 said:
    Blows away any SeaRay. Rinker is a great boat for fresh or salt water. I have a 2002 342FV. I keep it in salt water and zero problems caused by salt water.
    Raybo3, what type of engines do you have?  I am still debating on Mercruiser or Volvo Penta with the saltwater protection. 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ocean X seems to be a very solid drive. If I had a salty boat, I would seriously consider them. If I had a merc I would look at a bravo 1 or 2 drive because they tend to have less corrosion issues in salt water verses the bravo 3. If you are on a lift, then either manufacturer would be fine. Depending on where you are located, Volvo parts aren’t always easily available, which works in Mercs favor. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Rinkers are "built for the lakes" and "built for the ocean." All boats suffer the effects of salt air and water. As others mention, special care is needed to fend off corrosion of the outdrives and electrical system. Dielectric grease helps with the latter. As Greg says, the Ocean X is a great drive and very corrosion resistant, however bottom paint does not last when applied to it so regular marine growth cleanings are a must. I've not noticed any hull or deck problems associated with salt water, and my boat has been sitting in it continuously for 13 years. My railings, through hulls and cleats look good as new.
    Andy.
  • Options
    @andyd you said it all, maintenance. Non stop work. Always cleaning this, polishing that, fixing this. Never ends
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dock mate winters in Florida and summer's here, has taken boats back and forth, he says the same... all about maintenance. There are boats in FL, all brands, that look like new thanks to TLC, and boats that look like crap, tons of corrosion, due to no TLC. Depends more on the owner than brand as for the most part the brands are all using the same engines and electronics and those are the variables.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aacrod said:
    .raybo3 said:
    Raybo3, what type of engines do you have?  I am still debating on Mercruiser or Volvo Penta with the saltwater protection. 

I have Mercruiser. IMO and I do not mean to insult anyone but I would never buy Volvo Penta. I have seen way too many problems with them at my club and have heard many friends say they would never buy VP again.......... BTW my engines have been in salt water since the boat has been built. I the manifolds and risers just got replaced for the first time last season......... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Most boat builders that build boats intended for Salt water like fishing or cruising use higher grade materials and most are outboards or shaft drive. That's why they cost a small fortune. 
  • Options
    @Handymans342 Didn't you have Bravo 2's with your diesels?
  • Options
    Yes Ray and they didnt have the corrosion issues that the B3s have. Dream has B2s also and has had a lot of breakage with them. 
  • Options
    So I wonder if you could get your diesels with VP drives.......
  • Options
    Who cares. Bbahahahahahha
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yes Ray and they didnt have the corrosion issues that the B3s have. Dream has B2s also and has had a lot of breakage with them. 

Two of my 3 "breakages" have been from hitting something solid.  Hard to blame the drives on that.

Raybo, there is a 2006 390 on our dock that came with VP diesels.  Very nice boat and always well taken care of.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    What drives does he have??
  • Options
    I did not ask my question correctly. Handy had Yan's (I believe) I was wondering if VP drives could fit those also. 
  • Options
    You can make any drive fit any motor with the proper adapter or whatever that is that bolts on the flywheel. What is your obsession with this Volvo thing @raybo3????
  • Options
    Yanmar makes a great drive unit
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    VP has been matching diesels to the stern drives since at least the late 80s. The late 80s/early 90s volvo penta 290 could be bought as a sp or a dp.  They had different ratios for diesel and gas engines.

It was a near bullet proof outdrive, still have one.  I believe to make it counter rotation you just flipped shifter cable. Was a great upgrade from the 280.

I cant wait to get my hands on an om606 Mercedes diesel motor to marinize then drop it into my 235 rinker with a duo prop outdrive.  
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Here are some Volvo-Penta drives I saw today, perfect condition!  :D
    Andy