Correct bunk positioning on a lift

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
I have a 342 and just got a new lift for my slip. Yeaaa.  I am not convinced though that the bunks are setup correctly.  If i go on the way they initially had me the rear of the bunks is at my props. That makes me nervous. If i back up a little to keep the bunks even with the transom then it is almost always leaning when i take it out.

One place i look online it says the weight of the boat should be on the keel and that the bunks are just for balancing.  My keel is no where near touching.  Could you all chime in and post any pictures of how you sit on the lift please? 
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry @davidbrooks can't help with a pic, but 100% agree about weight on keel. Bunks to line it up.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bunks are on each inner side of the lowest chine and my drives touched the end of the bunks. David, there is a tool that measures the weight on each cable and they should all be equal!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Almost 90% of the boats in our marina are on lifts.  Lots of 342s.  I have not seen one that actually sat on the keel (If you are talking bottom of boat).  They all sit on the bunks as handy has said, lowest chine.  None of the bunks are even close the drives though, just to the transom.  Here is a winter pic that you can see a little bit:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    So here is a pic of mine.  I looked at all the other boats on lifts and they all sit on the keel as well.  I put in a call to the marina owner to ask him to look into it.  From everything i have read the vast majority of the weight of the boat should rest on the keel and the bunks act to balance the boat.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Maybe I'm just confused by using the term keel on a powerboat.  To me, in that picture it is sitting on the bunks.  If boat bottom was touching the I-beam, that is what I considered the keel.

Mine sits just as Handy stated, around the inner of that first chine.  It's funny this topic has came up though, because I was told that I should maybe move it out.  Most of the boats in our marina are closer to that second chine.  Believe it or not, my stern I-beam looks like it has a slight bend in it.  Not sure how it's possible, but has me thinking the weight should be spread out more on the beam.  There are much larger boats on the same beams in my marina, so not sure.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure dont miss that nasty color water
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks that is one shiny boat!!
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    OK gonna answer my own question.  They didn't originally set it up correctly. It was actually setup for a 350 and not a 342.  I guess i was the first person to look at it and say that it just didn't look right.  So now if you look at the picture below you will see that it is resting on the keel and the bunks have been moved out a little and are both at an angle even with the bottom.   Always pays to look over and ask questions.