Options

Bravo 3 losing oil

Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
So last year, I had a very slow leak, and determined it was a tiny crack on the reservoir. I topped off about 3 different times, a few ounces each instance. That was replaced this Spring, and I had two trips in, with NO leak whatsoever.   Then a few days ago, I get an alarm beeping as I take off, I immediately stop, and check the reservoir, and it has gotten so low, I can now see the sensor in the bottom of it when I removed the cap!  

I did verify it was full before this trip.  I had no oil in the bilge, or visibly leaking into the lake.   I topped it off, and finished out my trip, roughly 40 additional miles of boating.  No movement on the full line on reservoir.  I spoke to my mechanic today, and he said it probably just "burped". Not sure if I buy that or not...but I was given a fresh quart of drive oil for free to keep it topped off.  I de-greased my bilge today, and plan on watching it VERY closely on the next trip.  He did mention I could bring it in to have it pressure tested.  Does that sound reasonable?   Thank you.... 
2000 Captiva 232 

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a bit of oil for a "burp", but yes, it is possible. Sounds like he's also willing to stand by his work. A pressure test is about the only way to see if things are sealed unless you visibly see oil of course.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many hours have you put on this year? 
    Did you change the fuild in the drive this spring?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Oil has been changed every season, both engine, and drive. It was just really odd to me, how the reservoir was on the full line before this trip......then BAM, alarm going off, and 6 oz gone (roughly) 

Roughly 30 hours this season, so far. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. Bilge is clean as a whistle now. I will watch it closely for leaks on my next trip! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made it 54 miles this spring all was full. Next time out 6 miles back to the dock reservoir was almost empty. Been fine the rest off the year about 100 miles.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh...I think of the out drive like a transmission...which I never added to unless it leaked. Good to know. I've added to mine after getting back in the water and did change the fluid prior...
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    My mechanic said its normal to add about a quart each season for bravo 3, I'm around a quart for both drives a season. The beginning of the season I see it go down a good amount the first couple trips, which I believe is probably air pockets, and then I'm only adding a little bit every couple weeks to top off. I have never gotten so low that the alarm went off though. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine seems to stay stable after the first few hours post launch burping.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Interesting about the various thoughts...

@McGarnicle - His mechanic says quart per season is normal
    @rasbury - Never adds unless there is a leak
    @Alswagg - Says 4-6 ounces per 50 hours of use

My mechanic was a cross between @rasbury and @Alswagg: I should not use more than a few of ounces and that would probably be from a "burp" early in the season after a fresh change of oil/service.

His advice was if more than half of the reservoir empties over the course of the season - or you need to top it off constantly - you have a leak and it should be investigated. 
  • Options
    I did not say it won't use oil, I'm adding to mine and I hope from a little burping. What I was comparing is a transmission to an out drive and don't usually add transmission fluid to my car.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had four "late model" B llls - two were 2013s and two were 2014s. All four would burp oil after a change and 6 oz would not be uncommon. I never noticed oil "usage" but they were very new with low hours and I treated them very kindly.

Speaking of oil usage - RE: engine oil - one thing I have done since the 90s was to remove the oil filters from my engines a couple of times a summer, replace them with a new oil filter and "top up" the oil. Of course, I heated the oil to operating temperature before removing the oil filters. I believe this practise was the cheapest way possible to ensure long engine life. I still followed Mercruiser break-in recomendation of oil and filter change at 20 hours and maximum 50 hours thereafter.

Back to the drives -  drive oil changed every year or 50 hours maximum. Also every year pulled the B llls and replaced seals and checked engine alignment.

I have heard back from most of the owners of my past boats - some on their fifth owner - and all report extended lives of the equipment. IMO it's a lottttt cheaper to spend a little money up-front for greater longevity. :-)
  • Options
    I agree MT.  Being proactive on maintenance is the only way to improve your chances of no break downs. But we all know they just happen from time to time.  
    Every year I change oil on motor, and drives, new impellor, and filters.  This year I also did new plugs and wires, cap, rotor as well. 
    I will definitely keep a close eye on the level of drive oil.  A 6 oz burp, should've been enough to fill any air pocket still in the lines.  If I lose much more, I will get the boat into the shop right away for a pressure test. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I have put about 240 hours on ours...it has 340 total...i i ve changed all the oils and filters each season and the plugs when we first bought. Wires I'm sure have not been changed...pretty sure nothing else has been touched. Where do you find a scheduled maintenance check list? It's running great and sure want that to continue!
  • Options
    Ras my schedule is easy. All fluids, all filters every year.  I used to do impeller every other, but switched to every year as well. 
    When I bought the boat in 17, I went through new bellows, and serviced the entire drive, boots, seals, etc. 
    I was just stumped by the continued use of drive oil, that's why I posted. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I did all the bellows and bearings and shift cable...and impeller so I guess I'm good. I probably need to clean the spark arrestor and replace IAC valve or what ever it's called....when I first got back in the water it was bogging/back firing but the more I have run it, the better it has run...