Options

270 FV transom speakers...anyone added them?

04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
I want to add some speakers to the back of my 270 for when we're anchored and swimming in the water. I'm currently thinking about mounting 2 - 6.5" round speakers right on the rear of the boat, one under the water washdown hose and then one over by the walkthough. Has anyone added rear facing speakers? Pics?

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not a huge fan of mounting even marine speakers where they are always exposed to elements.  Ive seen a few rinker 270s but i dont recall the transom rail situation, the 6.5 rail mounted pods are popular with the wake boats boats aiming sound back to the person being pulled by said boat.  They have sizes that fit different rail sizes and are adjustable.  If i had an arch id have at least 4 speaker going across it so long as it doesn't interfere with head room.   Id also have a disco ball because pirate flags are for sailboats.

You can buy pod speakers or buy pods and add your own speakers. If you ever resell you dont have 6.5 inch holes cut in the back of the transom.  
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    a removable pod would certainly be easier. I could hide the wires under a cover and then open and plug in when in use, then take them back down when I didn't need them. My rear rail and the arch would have to be removable. My camper canvas and bimini would interfere with both if they were permanent.
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I went with a waterproof Bluetooth speaker at the transom rail.  Doesn't need power from the battery, can be controlled from phone or speaker, a lot less work and lower cost.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My admiral wants me to add speakers to the rear of my 280EC. I am not sold on the idea yet. I know that @jme097 added some to the rear of his 280EC. He might be a good one to ask for advise.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    My admiral wants me to add speakers to the rear of my 280EC. I am not sold on the idea yet. I know that @jme097 added some to the rear of his 280EC. He might be a good one to ask for advise.

Greg, if you remember the speaker that Pau Hana had on the back of his boat, well, it can be had for a little over $100.  What's nice is that it's not only Bluetooth, but can also be set to radio station (remember, we were transmitting over 88.3).  This allows the speaker to be at a much larger range away (up to about ~150ft) and still work well. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    i hear the need = also
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @Cableguy Greg knows! I added JL 7.7's to my transom a couple years back. Picture of them is my icon. The addition of the speakers on the transom is one of my favorite additions I've done to the boat. We, like most, spend most of our time in the water in the back of the boat so having the pair of speakers on the swim platform (also have 2 pairs of rear facing arch speaker) throws the music to the rear of the boat without having to blast it from inside the boat. Install is a breeze as well. 

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    On eBay you can get remanned wet sounds systems for less than 600 bucks right now.  

What size batteries are you guys running for amps?  I want to add one 4 channel for some 6.5s and 8s then a second to run a pair of subs. I dont want to run them off of my 2 batteries for the motor.  The last time i ran one of my batteries down too low and i flipped the switch to charge the dead one i ate an alternator belt.  Im still washing chunks of rubber/belt out of my bilge.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    edited August 2019
    I couldn't agree more with having the music on the back.  But, I'll tell you that the one of the easiest ways to do this is with something like this:

https://www.ionaudio.com/blockrockerplus

I need to check if this is exact one (I know it's made by ION), but we have used this now for the past month and the entire weekend at Rinkervous.  For $120, it's a no brainer.  Absolutely the best and easiest way to put music wherever you want.  Another great thing, you charge it up and use it all weekend!  Doesn't run down your batteries.  You can take it to the beach or wherever.  No mounting needed (gosh, I sound like an infomercial! :)  )  For those of you that have rafted up with our group, know that we "Pau Hana" has some money invested into his pirate radio station.  This will go right to his FM station and then can be used anywhere without worrying about the Bluetooth distance (we've used it 600 or 700 feet away from the boat with no issues or loss of sound).  

Just this weekend we talked about getting one or two more of these.  4 of these will sound better from the water than that remanned wet sounds system, cheaper, and will play longer as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited August 2019
    This is what i currently use when on the beach. I put it under the windshield. I keep a life jacket or towel on the outside of the windshield to keep the sun off of it.  Bouncing off of the windshield is a lot like the acoustics you get from your rear deck mounted car speakers off the back glass. It was originally for kayak fishing and wrench turning but now it goes to the lake with me every weekend. 1 charge is about 8 to 10 hrs.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://theoontz.com/products/oontz-angle-3xl-the-ultra-powerful-and-portable-wireless-bluetooth-speaker&ved=2ahUKEwjr5_2Z8-vjAhWqg-AKHfVHCEQQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw16Ugi-Ff1mMWKPskyabqq4