2005 342 Gen and A/C

johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
I have had a week of break downs aboard.  My y valve for the pump out broke, easy fix.  But the Generator I just put a new carb and fuel pump on ran for around 20 hours and now starts and shuts right off.  It did this before and the reason I replaced the carb.  Seems odd it would clog up so soon.  Over the last week the A/C seemed to struggle when the compressor engaged, today it pulls such a draw I have to shut it off or the fuse pops.  I think being a 2005 it is time for a new A/C, but how often does one replace the generator?

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as the genny check and make sure the choke is no sticking. I guess for a/c sorry to hear that.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It never ends 
  • johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    Handymans342, Are most of your 7000 plus posts just trolling? You sure seem to be a bitter old man with no money. Just jealous of folks that don't mind spending to do things correctly. I have asked you before and will once again. Please do not comment on my post's.  I am here for advise not to be trolled by an old fool.

Thanks reneechris14 for your post.  I have ordered a new A/C unit and an getting prices and availability on a new generator.  I figure I will keep the old girl for another 10 years or so, so I might as well her top notch!
    You truly are a poor old troll Handyman... and I would guess not so handy any more.  My bank account is something you will never get to experience.  It just keeps growing.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I think unless you have a compression issue anything else on the generator could be fixed without it being removed 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway on the genny, once started does it quit the second you release the start button?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

GMSLITHO: I have not done a compression test.  I did have the carb and fuel pump replaced earlier this month.  This spring it got the full service.  My thought is I want this boat to be reliable for the next 5 or so years.  So replacing it seems like a reasonable move.  Thank you for your reply!

Liberty44140: Yes,  it does the same thing we replaced the carb for.  I did the fuel pump as it had an aftermarket pump on it and I wanted to get back to oem.  Is there more you want to share???  Thanks!
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Bro replacing the gen 
    thinking it’s probably a Kholer will
    be expensive 

fix it lol
    Its repairable, you’d be lucky to find a used one for $5k. So when the engine dies the second you release the start button it’s almost always an electrical issue, not an engine issue. I left it to a pro when it happened on my 310 but I’ll tell you what I know he did. First he checked all fuses and brushes. Then he replaced the voltage regulator and then the control board. Ended up mine got water in the sator which blew the rotor and stator but yours could be as simple as $40 brushes, a fuse, or the regulator. 

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must agree if the genny can be fixed should get fixed before replacement. Its a 16hp Kawasaki motor attached to a stator cant see $8000.00
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are set on new and reliable new is a good call, if your old one has good compression she'll resell for a good chunk of change and quick.

As for the AC first check pump and thru hulls/lines for debris or corrosion. If ok then taking a pressure reading, checking the capacitor(s) is a good next step. Usually a bad compressor means time for a new unit. Id imagine it runs off of the same principals as a heat pump or home AC.  Im no ac expert, they run on voodoo.  I know enough to keep my home heat pump going.

Or again, sell and buy new!  Us budget guys like a deal!!!

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @johnep. I was simply pointing out that a boat will break whether its in a slip, on a lift, or on a trailer. I maintained my boat like you with an open wallet but in my opinion its a total waste of time and money compared to the pleasure it may bring. If thats what you want to do thats awesome but you dont have to be disrespectful to your elders! LOL
    The A/C is pumping water fine, goes through the cycles just fine.  When the compressor kicks in is the problem appears.  A new one installed is around 3500.00

I got a quote for a new generator.  Seems they are hard to come by new. Just over 10 grand for the unit then labor is addl.  A bit on the pricey side but it is what it is as they say.
    you should be able to go through Kohler's site to find your local marine dealer. They should be able to diagnose in the boat. I had the electrical side of the gen in my 310 completely rebuilt for $5k and that included a lot of troubleshooting and diagnosis.

On the AC I've heard of a couple of cases in our marina where the breaker gets thrown when the compressor kicks on. In their cases it was the capacitor on the AC. Of course could always be a bad breaker. The AC in a 342 is super easy to access and I've seen guys buy the unit for under $1500 themselves and toss it in. Lots of info on this site about that. 

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're lucky you can pop off the capacitor, go to your local hvac supply house and match one up, it's usually cheap toss a dart in the dark guess.  If you have a multi meter and access to a YouTube video you can test it yourself. 

Come to think of it ive seen bad wiring trip breakers as well.  Usually the wire is extremely hot to the touch when it's the culprit.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    edited July 2019
    @johnep - if you are thinking about a new generator, really make sure you look in to a Westerbeke.  Seriously, when I was at Rinkervous, someone replaced their Kohler (which a lot of parts are becoming hard or just impossible to get) with a Westerbeke and that thing is extremely quite and was much smaller.  

Oh, and I agree with Liberty.  The AC can be had for under $2k and an easy install.  I agree with not messing with that and just replacing.  The new AC units are much quieter and don't rust.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go the $ route for a new genny. Put in a Westerbeke. 

As for the AC, likely the one you have is obsolete on parts. Mine was. Super easy to remove install yourself, if you are handy that way. Save yourself $1k+!  I’m pretty OCD about that stuff, maybe a couple hours for the whole job done OCD correct. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    If you go the $ route for a new genny. Put in a Westerbeke. 

As for the AC, likely the one you have is obsolete on parts. Mine was. Super easy to remove install yourself, if you are handy that way. Save yourself $1k+!  I’m pretty OCD about that stuff, maybe a couple hours for the whole job done OCD correct. lol

Great minds think alike! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express