Options

broken windshield

hi all, my starboard front windshield on my 2003 342 was broken over the weekend. i have not been able to get anyone on the phone from Rinker as of yet to get the part number to see what my options are. anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated. i found an entire front windshield on great lakes skipper but its for a 2007 and not sure if it will fit my boat.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I think you’re the 3rd one this season to have this happen. I’m sure you will get some answers shortly.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The windshield is made by TaylorMade Systems. There is a serial number under the screw cover rubber strip. Call them and give them the serial number. They should be able to get you something going for a few thousand dollars. You can also contact Malory Wagner at Rinker. The factory is closed on the weekends, so that could be why nobody answered the phone. Mwagner@rinkerboats.com 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    I'm a fellow victim!  Just to prepare you, it will take 6-8 weeks to deliver a new windshield, in a new frame, ready to install for about $2700.  You can build a temporary replacement from 1/8" Lexan for about $150 using the existing frame.  

Look here for details.
    https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/9787/anybody-replaced-a-windshield-lately

Contact Malary with your hull ID number.  She will take care of you.  
  • Options
    tughilltughill Member Posts: 15
    Thanks all, I have emailed Mallory and am waiting for a response. We made a temporary window from 1/4" Lexan yesterday and to the unaware it looks normal, was not fun bending in place though! Couldn't be a worse time for this to happen as we are supposed to leave Friday on a week long trip to the 1000 islands.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tughill , how did the windshield get broken?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would assume insurance covers this? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Well done.  Nobody will notice the Lexan window, except that you'll probably point it out to everyone and tell them that they'd never notice it.  

1/4"?  Okay Hercules!  I had enough trouble bending 1/8".  
  • Options
    The windshield was broken by a friend with a little too much to drink and he slipped on the wet bow. He even bent the metal frame around it he fell so hard, resulted in a trip to urgent care to see if anything was broken on him! I am not turning this into the insurance company because I hate using insurance unless absolutely necessary. 

The 1/4" was not fun to install, I had a good friend help me. Plus, it was about 90 out Monday and it was in the sun so i assumed that helped a little.
  • Options
    So i sold the 342 with the broken windshield (with the agreement i give them the new one when it arrives). I have bought a 2007 420. It has the built in microwave/coffee maker. Does anybody know if the coffee pot for those combo units is available anywhere? I have searched the internet with no luck.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Congrats Tughill on both selling and the purchase of a 420.  My dock neighbor has a 2007 420 as well.  There are a bunch of us that have that coffee maker and cannot seem to find a replacement.  Mine has a crack in it, still works I guess (I don't drink coffee).  But I'd get a replacement just to have if I could find it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    thanks dream-in. this boat originally came from MD, possible you ran into the old owners. the name is lifestyle choice II. cant wait to get it to NY and spend time on it, most likely be here just in time to winterize it.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    What model unit do you have @tughill, mine is a Mr Coffee compact coffee maker  and I found it to be a UTC403 RD12 carafe. I found these at https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-PD12-1-Replacement-Decanter/dp/B00006IBUC and mine looks like the PLD13 on the left.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    tughill said:
    thanks dream-in. this boat originally came from MD, possible you ran into the old owners. the name is lifestyle choice II. cant wait to get it to NY and spend time on it, most likely be here just in time to winterize it.

It's sure a small world.  You could say I know the owners very well. They were just hanging out on my boat a couple weekends ago telling me they had it under contract.  I've gotten my hands dirty on it several times. :)  Dan & Darci are great people & you got yourself a great boat!

• Options
    i hope everyone is doing well. i received my 420 last fall and really didn't really get to know the boat before it was put up for the winter. i went out to the marina to start cleaning over the weekend and was not able to turn on the batteries. if i remember right the battery switches were under the back hatch on the swim platform. this happens to be operated by an electric actuator which obviously cant be operated with the batteries off! Is anyone aware of an override or are the battery switches in a different location and i'm crazy?  
  • Options
    I'm not positive about the 420, but you probably have override posts at the battery switch panel in the cockpit.  There will be two posts covered by plastic covers that look like wire nuts.  Unscrew them and attach jumper cables to a 12-volt battery.  If it tries to go down instead of up, reverse the cables.
  • Options
    I do know the area you are talking about in the hatch.  I can't remember if that can be accessed from under the stern seat as well?  Is there any panel that would be behind the stern door when you open it?

• Options
    turns out the batteries were left on all winter and were flat. when i powered the chargers i was able to open the hatch. hopefully the batteries recover, be a lot of work and money to replace them all.