Options

Windless only goes down.

2»

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...you have to be a little selective. Gators pretty much hang and feed along the shore... but there are places along the river where boats hang out there are really no worries. There are springs too you can pull up into that are fine....just don't swim at dusk or Dawn...there are really very few incidents 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GMSLITHO said:
    So ras where you boat you can’t swim 
    Sure you can....just really, really fast! 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Just faster than the gator... really Gators are only dangerous when people feed them- otherwise they really don't want nothing to do with people. The movies make them scary...like sharks.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Just faster than the gator... really Gators are only dangerous when people feed them- otherwise they really don't want nothing to do with people. The movies make them scary...like sharks.
    Friend had a boat in Deland on Lake Beresford in college. We broke down one night listening to the radio (she was intoxicating) and I swam the boat back in towards the dock with the light - I figured the gators would avoid the lit part of the lake. Well, that's the fish cleaning dock. I wasn't bit, but did check off getting chased by a fleet of large 'Later Logs' from my Bucket List.
  • Options
    You don't have to swim after than the gator, just faster than the other guy in the water!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    It has been used so seldom I'm going with a sticky something or another...same thing was going on my remote light...would only go up and dowñ... kept messing with it and it started working...just use it to spot Gators....
    I think you hit the nail on the head.  

When I bought my boat, one of my trim tabs was froze in position, but you could hear the motor trying to move it.  One well placed SMACK with a rubber mallet hammer, and it has worked perfectly for the past 3 seasons.  I think it just wasn't used enough from previous owner.... 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    dale332dale332 Member Posts: 23
    rmfriday said:
    Okay now that the windlass is on a work bench remove both side covers. remove pin #13 in the above diagram, now remove gear #6. this will give you access to the 3 bolts that hold the motor in place, remove the bolts and slide the motor out of its mounting location. it is a tight fit with the motor leads and you will have to remove some 3M 5200 from the hole the leads are ran though.
    Now that you have the motor out grab the small gear on the output shaft with a small pair of channellocks, also grab the end cap of the output shaft and turn counterclockwise. Once the end cap is removed you will be able to unscrew the gear.
    Now take the two 10mm bolts off that hold the starter together and remove the starter nose cone, inside the nose cone is o one way thrush bearing that is you problem. Remove it by driving it out with a 19mm socket and replace with this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D31QF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    reassemble with some fresh grease and you should be good to go.
    If you need any greater detail just let me know.
    good luck!
    I have the same Windlass on my 340FV but the opposite problem. at the beginning of last season the windless wouldn't work in either direction. i had power to switch and out of switch to the windless but nothing at windless. so i started tearing into that. after disassembling everything and getting the motor out and apart i found the magnets were actually loose from the housing and rusted to the armature. broke everything loose, cleaned, lubed everything. re glued the magnets to the housing. bench tested and it worked great. IN and OUT. took it back to the boat, installed, tested. PERFECT but thennnn...... about the 3rd time hauling it in accidentally hit the switch in/instead of Out and anchor pulled up real tight against the "stop" and wouldn't drop. i assumed it was just in a tight bind so i loosened the nut and manually dropped the anchor... ever since that day it will haul in with no problem, everytime i try it without fail... but it won't drop.. i swapped the leads at the switch. power is making it to the motor each way. although i cant "hear" anything when trying to drop anchor maybe a very very faint click but no hum like motor is trying to work. and the click only happens once,to hear it again you must haul in and then try to drop again. . any ideas? Parts are hard to find as you know and i know the basics of a 12v electric motor... if its working perfect one way it should work the other. im open to suggestions thanks!   
  • Options
    West Marine.  
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    West Marine.  
    ????

• Options
    But a new one! Just kidding...got to be something in the switch then?
  • Options
    ive swapped the leads at the switch to test the "down side" and it seems to send power thru just fine? 

• Options
    Well, not being an electrical guy...is there still not something at the motor that takes the signal and makes it go one way or another?🤪
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    So back to this...after a couple years off for the most part...new batteries..charging at the marina....plenty of starting power...but wa wa wa on retrieving the anchor. Now it did it without throwing the breaker but it would stop...let it "rest" and hit it again...peat and re peat,  got it up. Little windy and can't monitor the slack in the chain....
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have an inspection hatch behind the mirror at the very bow inside the cabin?  My rope was stacking up vertically (and not filling the rope holding area ... it was like a perfect spiral straight up), and then hitting the top of the winder.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yes...I will look at that wiring and work my way back...
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem on my Four Winns. The marina replaced the solenoid and it did nothing. Eventually I figured out that the cog on the windlass motor shaft is spring loaded (like a starter motor on a car) and it was binding. Cleaned and greased and never an issue after that. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Since no one else has gone here i will.  Sorry you can't get it up any more Ras.  That is a terrible thing.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    It only goes down ... just like my stocks every time I do my own trading.