Options

Undersized Motors?

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i built this bad bear some years ago.. turned every bolt on the thing. OE was 1800cc, i took it up a bit.. valves... eh, you get the idea.. 

i was in Beaufort NC one eve coming back from a girl i was seeing's house.. at the last red light before the bridge- a vette pulls alongside and revs up.. 

now here is the thing- that bike was built for the 1/8th.. it dang near bit hard and jumped to the 1/8th mark without touching the ground.. but it fell flat on it's face after the 1/4- but i didn't care, it was built for the 1/8th..

i looked at that vette and it was nice.. i'm not a fan of murdered flat black all over, but that is what it was and i still have to regard the lines on that car.. the only color was the red calipers peeking out behind the wheels.. 

he revved.. i revved.. light turns green- HE WAS GONE... horsepower to weight ratio be danged, that vette smoked that bike... i'd like to tell you something broke or something wasn't 'right'.... but.. it was in it's best form and that freaking vette smoked it.  i was never beat in the 1/8th against anything it went up against... except that vette.. by the time my bike fell on it's face all i could see were tail lights twinkling in the distance.  where is was likely around 125~130 or so at the 1/4, he was likely 140+... i don't have a clue what was under that things hood... but DANG.... btw, i knew i was in trouble when he dropped the throttle and that thing spoke to me... i wasn't dealing with a 'regular' z6.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new mid-engine will re-write the super car legend. Big name super cars are already looking for camouflage paint to disappear when one of those pulls-up beside it. Will pull 1G. 

Back in the 70s a friend had a vette killer (straight line runs). Chevy ll with a breathed on 396. Switchable headers. By the time the vette owner heard those headers open it was too late. The car was nicknamed "Claim Jumper".

In a smaller way the same was true for my EC 310 and EC 360 - a couple of times exiting no wake zones some sea ray or formula would pull alongside for a run. After a couple of those "misguided attempts" the word got around locally - don't waste your fuel on those black Rinkers Ha Ha.....now that Rinker 190 with the 390 HP it it murdered everything.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are your new rinkers designed with what i think is called a stepped hull?  Less power to plane and plane more quickly?
  • Options
    Every rinker I've ever seen has a pad designed hull.  I don't recall any displacement hulls from them.   
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Rinkers have what once patented lifting strakes that were "afterplanes" along with a keel pad which is awesome for lift.

I have never met another manufacturer's boat that could keep up with any Rinker I owned - HP being the same - and in some cases more than mine.

That would include Rinker models: 190, 232, 236, 226XL, EC 310, EC 360.

As far as cruisers were concerned NOTHING in the size range/hp of the Rinker EC 310 or EC 360 could touch it.

We pulled into Alexandria Bay (U.S.A.) one time with our EC 360 for some beers and a couple of boaters came over. One said "So that's the black Rinker we have heard about". Yeah, that would be one of two you should have heard about.

Yes, I am shamelessly proud of Rinker quality and performance - when matched with the correct engine options! 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Our 246 had 6 lifting strakes where I see most other brands only have 4. Don't know how much added performance that could account for. Also well aft in the chine, there were notches, tear drop shaped cut outs, that are supposed to draw in air under the hull to reduce drag. Not a true stepped hull like some high performance go fast boats (Don Aronow was referenced in another post here recently).
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Working on mid engine cars is a pita.
    i actually think mid engine vette is a knock off.
    so someone can say I can afford a mid engine car that still has build flaws lol
  • Options
    ....better take another look at the new vette's specs it will be a game changer.
  • Options
    How?
    if you don’t like working on your own cars which I know you don’t or boats lol
    yes it will be. Entire concept of American muscle is roll your sleeves and do it in the garage. 
    Mid engine cars are not made to be worked on in a two car garage lol
    and yes the specs are ok but handling and dual clutch has been around for a long time.
    how can Gm make a mid engine car for fraction of a Ferrari ? Oh that’s right cheap build materials and cutting corners.
    my ls3 puts down 750hp on e85 but inside looks like a neon lol
  • Options
    My vette speaks on startup lol
    texas speed heads, cam, intake and custom tune with a pro charger.
    i also run meth and fuel chiller.
    c6 has to be a bubble top aka solid top. If I push my vette any further it will crack and spider my body since it’s a targa top.

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See: Pontiac fiero
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PaulZ00 , any luck?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Michael T said:
    ....better take another look at the new vette's specs it will be a game changer.
    Recent high-end Corvettes have already changed the game. 

I have spent one or two moments trying to chase them around various race tracks.  Fuggetaboutit.  No mods needed.  They have really hit their stride over the past 5-6 years.  And have you seen them?  Ohmehgard, good-looking in a track-rat sort of way. 

If they build the long-promised rear-engine car, will it really be that much better?  Yes, of course it will.  But I can't keep up with today's crop, let alone a rear-engine variant.  
  • Options
    @zaverin1 with respect - I am willing to bet I have breathed on more engines than you have read about. That said, a point is reached, technology wise, where even "yesterday's" technicians are hard pressed to trouble shoot. The EC 310 and EC 360 apart from basic maintenance (impellers, oil filters ) are beyond the capability of most of the non-technically trained.

A number of systems on both boats required regional experts to trouble shoot. These new boats and vehicles are in a different galaxy than the 5.0L mustangs, 340s, 440s, and 396s my friends and I used to work on as kids.

Building a back yard toy for the track is not the same as working on a modern piece of racing machinery.

Most people have no business under the hood of late model Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs, Audis etc. except to smile and nod. 

Of course the real experts love it when a weekend wally gets in there. That usually puts one of their children through college. 

The new "mid-engined" Corvette will pull 1G and is expected to smoke,n in every way, the competition up to 4 times its price point.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    MikeT
    you purchased a lot of things with motors but I actually wrench.
    Your obsession with 310 and 360 is getting played out. 
    I machined my own heads and block?
    what did you do?
    order one?lol
    and are you smoking thc?
    c8 Smokes the competition?
    in what way way?
    i designed and launched more car components that you can read about.
    My vette and my 71 nova are hand built when it comes to the driveline. 

Post edited by zaverin1 on
  • Options
    I don't think anyone on this forum wants to read about us in a pi$$ing contest. You have absolutely no idea what  I have accomplished. What I have or have not worked/built/modified is none of your business. As you indicate you work on dated stock whereas I am talking about cutting-edge technology not yesteryears relics no matter how intriguing.
  • Options
    If by dated stock you mean 2020 and future drivetrain for GM?
    yep that be me!
  • Options
    Zav, maybe you should call GM and register your opinion and complaints about the z8.  I'm certain they'll listen to you.   Who knows, you may land a job? 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I am corporate design engineer that helped bring something like 6-10 spd Gm and 8-9 zf in recent memory.
    not including magna and ford transfer case designs.
    my c6 was bought new and I paid 64k for it cash.
    i invested another 25k into it and I can tell you that I can whoop the new c8s a$$

not sure about the gp,z06 or zr1 numbers but I am sure I can call down the street to Gm tech center lol
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    I work for Aam now lol
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had studied harder....
  • Options
    ....you invested 25K into a stock model and feel you can out accelerate and maybe, just maybe keep up with the new mid-engine Corvette at a track (until you pull some Gs and flip your relic......proving exactly what....you took a stock vehicle and modified it. So what? Sure won't look as sexy.....In Aruba with a GM automotive engineer right now who LHAO sooooo hard he spilled his scotch. I can't print his reply but it was really, really funny - so funny I nearly had a cardiac arrest.  Asked if you were on loan from one of the Indonesian parts plants? Maybe stick to boating? Sea Ray could use your help with some of their inefficient DDs. Maybe you could help there? Leave the design of an excellent automobile to engineers who actually know automobiles.
  • Options
    yo @Michael T, when a person comes on an anonymous message board and starts making claims to perceived greatness, you can pretty much guarantee their expertise is..... lacking.... 
    in this case, i imagine, gluing together a few models to 3/4 completion and seeing how they 'fit together' is about the extent of expertise.  quietly and confidently offering information, ala @Alswagg is a capacity absent from this guy, as his every post is bereft of anything but snark and arrogance- which are the two tools used to disguise that condition. 

yo zav- no, i don't need a new air filter with the oil change.  thanks though!

y'all ought to see the size of mr. weeny... I could post pictures!!! <- that is about the mentality.  but, in all honesty, i did once pay for a candy bar with 64cents.. cash... two quarters a dime and a nickel.  i gave the penny to the little bin in case someone else needed it- turns out a penny will never be worth more than that courtesy.  
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    212 what boat do you have?lol
    from what I remember you keep blowing up your motors and I would say You do need filter and oil after all lmao.
    Your google
    copy and paste skills are useless brother.

I am a true Americana muscle enthusiast! This comes from years of building and racing cars.
    Most was done at the drag strip and my cars were never built for a closed loop road track which is what a c8 is for.
    Is you engineer friend in the 80s lol drinking scotch.
    ask your Gm guy why this c8 was even built and Gm switched to a  mid engine design?
    let him suck up his scotch of the floor while a wait.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can pee just as far as you guys. But i would rather learn more about boats.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Here we have it. The 1st ever thread that went completely to $hit! Why dont  you two just call each other on the phone and hash this out? 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Here is what the 300vee hull looks like
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Geez!  Did you all miss the weekend???  Most of you have boats, let's use them and forget about the forum over the weekend!

...lets see, the last 3 days...Friday, did a little tinkering on the boat, went to county fair.  Saturday, watched my son's regatta from our boat (he won!! :) ) and then anchored out and did some grilling while watching college football.  Yesterday, our family rode on another buddy's boat, ate at a nice waterfront restaurant while listening to a band.  Then went back to moored boat and stood in the sandy water while having our drinks and listening.....waited until Monday, got back on the forum to help get thru the work week to see this!  Come on guys!  We can all do better than this!!! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    We wandered around the Newport Boat Show this weekend, was nice to see what’s around and dream while walking.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    downunderdownunder Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    yes agree , there is always something to do on your boat especially if its getting old and needs lots of care and attention.
    If its in salt water its non stop!!
    Back on topic my boat sure has undersized engines, twin 260 hp 5.7 with tbi and bravo3 legs with 24 pitch props. Getting it the plane was a real mission and it was working so hard.
    Changed the props to 21 pitch Solas combo 4 and 3 blade and what a difference. Will send some pics of props later.
    "festina lente" - 2001  340 FV