Options

Dive boat fire off Santa Cruz Island, CA

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, just read that a short time ago. Makes me feel sick. Sounds like they never had a chance.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Ventura County Fire Scanner audio of Ch. 16 mayday from dive boat Conception. This is chilling.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    edited September 2019
    That's a real nightmare.  BTW it's front page news here too. 

Listening to that mayday dredged up bad memories from when I had to make a mayday call years ago.  The biggest thing I remember was that there were LOTS of people trying to talk on 16.  It would have been total chaos, except the pro staff would start most of their transmissions by saying who they were calling, and who they were.  As in, "Sector Baltimore, Fire Boat 20 - ETA 10 minutes."  

To this day, I practice doing that.  And I hope I never make another mayday call.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That had to be a diesel boat wonder what was the cause.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed 5 of the 6 boat crew made it off safely. Reminds me of a scuba boat accident many years ago in the Hondouras. An acquaitence had to point a spear gun at the crew who were taking-off in a life boat that would have held everyone. According to him that's how they survived. Apparently there was quite a dust-up once shore was reached and the crew had to be rescued from the divers on the boat and at the dive resort. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a propane leak to engulf the whole boat that fast. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could've been an oxygen fire also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The NTSB is on the case and the cause will become known. I suspect propane was the problem like Black_Diamond mentions. The skipper of the private boat Grape Escape deserves kudos for helping in the rescue.
    Andy