Dexron ATF or Power Steering Fluid?

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Noticed my steering was a little notchy at low RPM's when out the other day. Going to check my fluid when I get back there tomorrow and want to bring fluid just in case. Would have thought just Power steering fluid, but a checkof theMercruiser manual posted in the archive section shows Dexron or Dexron II ATF fluid?
Go with the manual I guess???
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the ATF.....in a new pump I installed. It was acting "notchy" also after the pump ( and when it went dry and grenaded) but seems to be working now ok- must have had some air in the system. If you do need a new pump....it is a standard Saginaw GM pump so if the can is not rotted out and leaking, get tht pump for 45 bucks...merc's is like 800 bucks for the complete assy...
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I think the auto pump is valved a little more aggressively than the marine, but if it's working for you keep at it! I've always heard you needed to change the valve.

Ditto on atf for me too. Also use it in my trim tabs so i keep it on board

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound.  If you need a new pump. PM me.  I have battled with mine for the last year.  Pulled it and worked on it 5 times.  Finally got it right.  I have a ton of experience....as in don't do what i did to share.  I went with Prestone Power steering fluid from PepBoys.  Understand though that they may PS fluid for different makes of vehicles.  Look for anything advertised for an older GM car.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Had to replace mine twice with aftermarket automotive pumps and also switch the valve with the one that was in the previous OEM Mercruiser pump.
    I did not change a valve and so far so good?
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good. I only did it at the direction of my mechanic. Maybe an urban legend...?
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The pressure in the automotive is greater. 

How much greater??? I don't know.  I've never seen a pressure gauge on power steering set up lol.

If it's 10 psi more, probably not noticeable.  50 psi more, might eventually blow a seal in your ram as those power steering hoses are stout.  100+ psi more, you'd have already noticed an issue.

Like i said, if it's been working for you keep at it!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made it to the boat today. Fluid level was good. A good 40 minute run confirmed no chatter in the pump at any speed. I attribute the notchy steering the other day from being at the end of an almost two hour run mostly at speed which likely thinned out the fluid from heat. And it was power steering fluid in there. Clear, not red, and also by smell. I had brought ATF with me which wasn't wasted since I noticed my trim tab pump reservoir was a tad low, so topped it up and checked all other fluids also. All good. Except for the fluid in the head......time for another new joker valve......
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Oh great...that's all I need is to blow a seal...I was having issue with the hoses as as stout as they are, they attach to the cooler with a weak little hose clamp....tighten to much and the tubing on the cooler will collapse. I think I'm already leaking around the seals on the ram but very minor and I think that is what led to the failure of the pump- I did not keep an eye on the level and it got low and toasted the bearing. It is a pain to check. Anyway, hopefully I will be OK. I could have swapped over the valve had I known...