Moisture Control in cabin over winter

Looking for some advice on the best method/material to use to control/eliminate moisture in the cabin and cockpit over the winter.  I am concerned with the fluctuation of temperature creating moisture and mold.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
«1

Comments

  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Air flow.  When my boats sit, even during the week i keep hatches and or doors opened or cracked to allow air flow. The more the better.  I cover the sailboat with a tarp and under the tarp stays dry minus the humidity so again hatches with screens stay open.

    For the rinker i just keep the door cracked enough so the cats cant get in, im parked under a large metal garage.  



  • FreddyFreddy Member Posts: 13 ✭
    I'm not sure what region you live in but I am in the Northeast.  leaving the windows open may be somewhat difficult to do. I've heard of buckets of charcoal can we use but a little skeptical. 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    We live in the Northwest and we have the circular tabletop recirculating fans that plugin. I think they slightly warm the air but more importantly they keep the airflow moving. 

    Caframo Limited 9406CAABX Stor-Dry 9406 Dehumidifier, Warm Air Circulator Fan, Small, Metallic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009L675W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_y.xHDb8ZARRWF
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw coffee beans in an aluminum dish. 

    Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is the moisture absorbing canister. Not sure how well those work, I think they are generally used in RV. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • IanIan Member Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moisture bags and half a box of Bounce sheets spread all round. I am in the NE but she’s inside storage (not heated).

    Regards,

    Ian

    The Third “B”

    Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

    https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    Moisture bags and half a box of Bounce sheets spread all round. I am in the NE but she’s inside storage (not heated).
    Yep. Me too. And I'm outside under a cover.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 3-4 of the large Damp-Rid tubs in my 280EC and have never had an issue.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes" (Sold)
    2022 Cherokee 294GEBG Black Label land yacht. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • FreddyFreddy Member Posts: 13 ✭
    icoultha said:
    Moisture bags and half a box of Bounce sheets spread all round. I am in the NE but she’s inside storage (not heated).
    Bounce sheets for odor control, I assume?

  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I also also use the moisturizer bags 5or 6 from Home Depot 
  • FreddyFreddy Member Posts: 13 ✭
    I use 3-4 of the large Damp-Rid tubs in my 280EC and have never had an issue.
    Where do you find your Damp-Rid in the Pittsburgh area?
  • FreddyFreddy Member Posts: 13 ✭
    GMSLITHO said:
    I also also use the moisturizer bags 5or 6 from Home Depot 
    Ah...Home Depot.  Thank you.
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    Yep. 4 Home Depot Humid Dry buckets and a couple of small tupperware containers with moth balls in them. Keeps spiders out. I keep ours in an underground mine that is pretty damp inside. I'm on the list to get in the climate controlled side but still not at the top yet. We have stored there for 4 seasons now with no issues. I put 4 new buckets in when we put it away in late October then go down in January and swap them for 4 new ones.
  • rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    I use a few of the damp rid bags in the cabin and bounce sheets in the drawers/cabinets.  Haven't had any issues. 

    Ray

    2006 390

    Previous 2000 340

  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw coffee beans in an aluminum dish. 
    Waste of good coffee. Usd damp rid
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in South Carolina so we don't get much snow, if we do its usually gone in 24 hrs. That lake affect snow would kill any tarp.  


  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2 damp rid and dryer sheets I'm the north east cold snowy and hibernation till may. Thinking 3 weeks 10/15 ?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • FreddyFreddy Member Posts: 13 ✭
    Thanks for all of the responses and suggestions.  All good stuff... 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The damp Rid bags are awesome. I used to hang four of them in the Fall. By Spring they would be full full of water from the action of the absorbtion crystals.
     
  • IanIan Member Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use them all year round.

    Regards,

    Ian

    The Third “B”

    Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

    https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freddy said:
    I use 3-4 of the large Damp-Rid tubs in my 280EC and have never had an issue.
    Where do you find your Damp-Rid in the Pittsburgh area?
    Where are you at in Pittsburgh? What boat do you have?

    I have found them at Wal-Mart in Cranberry, Home Depot and of course Amazon.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes" (Sold)
    2022 Cherokee 294GEBG Black Label land yacht. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they have BJ’s there? That where we get ours typically and they offer coupons often.

    Regards,

    Ian

    The Third “B”

    Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

    https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    Do they have BJ’s there? That where we get ours typically and they offer coupons often.
    No BJ's in Pittsburgh.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes" (Sold)
    2022 Cherokee 294GEBG Black Label land yacht. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • FreddyFreddy Member Posts: 13 ✭
    Freddy said:
    I use 3-4 of the large Damp-Rid tubs in my 280EC and have never had an issue.
    Where do you find your Damp-Rid in the Pittsburgh area?
    Where are you at in Pittsburgh? What boat do you have?

    I have found them at Wal-Mart in Cranberry, Home Depot and of course Amazon.
    South Hills.
    I found Damp Rid at Home Depot.  Thanks for the advice. And, BTW, thanks again for letting us tie off to you on the North Shore last Sunday. 
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    A guy that used to dock near us used to keep bowls of charcoal in his boat. I know my luck I'd spill it and leave black stains so I'll stick with the Damp Rid
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damp Rid bucket and some of the pouches here also. Dryer sheets or air fresheners below deck. Moth balls above deck in cockpit. Discourages mice and raccoons from getting on board. And all possible crumbs of food cleaned and vacuumed up.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just plan on using the boat and open the windows!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People in Florida suck!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,949 mod
    I use the big damp rid bucket in the cockpit under the full winter cover and a smaller damp rid bucket with a couple starbrite packets in the cabin.  I check them routinely over the winter.  Works very well. 

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep I put a damp rid bucket in the head, and one in the galley. I am indoor stored so they only get maybe a cup of water each over 4 months, if I were outdoors I'd have 3 or 4 in the boat. Can buy at Walmart or Home Depot pretty cheap, I think they are only a few bucks each. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Sign In or Register to comment.