Options

Rinker 242 deal pending (need help please)

sump pump for the shower drain leaks and does not turn on. Anyone have any idea cost to replace one? Honestly feel like I wasted my money on the survey with this owner. From the very moment he meets the surveyor you could tell the owner was not fixing anything that was wrong. WIsh I would have known that BEFORE I hired someone to go over his boat. Surveyor was great, owner not so much.

Jimbo3067

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Subtract the costs then. A shower sump with pump and float is maybe $75..ok $129.95 per BabyBoomer..guess I under estimated!
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Jimbo3067Jimbo3067 Member Posts: 23

Thanks babyboomer..

And this is exactly what I told the owner...the part may not cost to much but the labor could get expensive.

Jimbo3067

• Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    I have the shower sump that came out of a rinker 242 we parted out... $60 plus shipping if you want it
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to replace the float in the sump pump on my 242, wasn't that bad of a job. Bad float is on the right in the second pic. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Aero, thanks for the pics. That's quite a bulge on the bad one.

Jimbo, It probably won't be the last time you'll be cussing that thing so don't be too tough on the seller if the other systems look good ;) . I know I've dug through mine numerous times. They're fussy, but on the other hand who'd want their nasty job.

Getting a boat surveyed isn't necessarily only to force the seller to fix a litany of worn systems in a used boat, It's really to help you know what you're up against if things were.....hidden or fixed with band aids and bailing wire or out of your realm of expertise. Every seller has a limit as does every buyer. I knew the shower sump was bad on my survey date but didn't press it for $75 and chose to focus on more important issues like the windlass that needed fixed among other things.

I hope you can come together in harmony. If not there's always the option of moving on to the next one
    Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

I walked away from the deal.

To many lies on his part.

1. upon showing us the boat (the first time) he tells my wife and I how he changes his batteries every 2 years religiously. Opens upon the cover and on one battery date it's 2/10 (so 3 and 1/2 years old) and no sticker to see on the other battery.

2. ask him which one is battery 1. he does not know.

3. tells me he never ran aground but tells the surveyor he hits a sand barge just a few weeks ago.

4. tells me he only uses the boat a couple of times a year but upon asking around he is at the marina most every weekend.

Made me feel like I was buying that used car that grandma only drove once a month to the grocery store.

again I could say more but no use in that. time to move on.

The surveyor said that the average time a boat is for sale here in north florida is 163 days. Feel like time is on my side.

Jimbo

On to the next boat deal...   :)

• Options
    Jimbo, the next one will go better. You learn a little in each close one until it just gels. Dont mourn over that survey expense either. Its money well spent if you avoid a bad experience. Good luck shopping. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Amen Tiki.  As frustrating as it is Jimbo, you spent good money knowing what you were possibly getting into.  You know what you want and are comfortable purchasing.  If this doesn't work there is always more out there.  Just have to be patient,  That's the hardest part.  Believe me I know, I'm looking myself.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Jimbo short money to save a major headache. You will be fine just keep plugging away. The next one will be even better....Good luck bro...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    There's plenty of fish in the sea. I've walked away from more than one deal. I've never regretted it and have always found what I was looking for. Be patient and don't be in a rush.

I know you're disappointed after the excitement but know that you made the right decision for yourself. As previously posted, treat it as a learning experience.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options

Thanks guys. Mike for some reason the best deals I am finding are in your home town.

I honestly do not regret the money for the survey. Now I know what they look at and can do most of the same items myself. I learned a ton.

Jimbo3067

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Nothing worse than being seduced by the allure of owning a boat and making a hasty and potentially disastrous decision! Do as much as possible to arm yourself with as much information as you can amass and you will rarely be disappointed.

• Options
    Jimbo, Sure seems like there are boats in every nook around me and quite a bit of money to buy really big toys around here....unless you're me;) . The peer pressure in our marinas and watrefront homes is also off the scale, which leads to a few nice boats getting sent to the land of misfit toys. All the better to get a good deal.

Many of the boat show buyers we see tend to be buying on impulsive salesman induced euphoria which wears off leaving the sobering and relentless overhead of maintaining a dock trophy.  When the broker told me how many of our areas slightly used deals were actually getting shipped to overseas buyers with cash I was shocked. The moral...skip the hype and buy what you'll use.

Call me if you want a local guy to take a quick look at something and get a few pics for you. Glad to help. Mike.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend owned a marina and dealership. I was at several boat shows with him. His salesmen were real honest at explaining the costs of boat wonership but, like you said, it seemed to fall on deaf ears. All many people seemed to see were the initial monthly payments - then came the fuel, maintenance, docking, storage, lay-up and insurance. Many big boys just become "dockiniums" in my area. Does make for some wicked deals for anyone with a bit of change rattling around. MT
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    I never thought I could afford to step up to the world of cruising but some of the deals up here on newer Rinkers are amazing.   Agreed,  most are unaware of the operational costs of owning but I've got a good handle on that.   I've convinced the Admiral that we'll be into a cruiser in the next 3 to 4 years. 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme