Options

Fishing on a cruiser

My son loves to fish, I love to overnight in Catalina.  I'm looking at a 2005 270 FV, anybody fish on one of these?

I'm thinking I could install a bait tank (removable) on the swim step.  Maybe remove the rear seat cushion, possibly replace with plywood or starboard while fishing?

Anybody done this, I love to spend time fishing with my son, but also want the comforts of a cruiser.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all want that! We fished just fine on a 342
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a 270 but I don't fish anymore...can't imagine why you could not fish off one...if you can fish off a bridge you can certainly do so off a 270!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep the wash down handy and maybe remove rear carpet if you have any. Fish guts are hard to get off carpet and hard to get off anyting once baked in the sun. 

They make portable bait tanks cooler sized.  Keep chum in an old cooler or 5 gallon buckets, keep your catch in another cooler.   

You've got plenty of room for fishing gear and a couple dudes on a 270.  

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this what i made for my 270 years ago keep all the mess on the platform 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We fish from our rear platform on our 270 quite often. Ive even installed a downrigger mount. You are somewhat restricted to the rear though as getting up on the sloped front deck for casting is difficult and not recommended. So whereas with my old open decked boat we could easily do 3 or 4 we are now limited to about 2.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    DanalinaDanalina Member Posts: 5
    Thanks guys, I just put in an offer, we'll see...
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

We fished a lot on my 260EC. I had it all setup with a fish finder, riggers, could hold 6 rods trolling (3 on each side).

We caught lots of big fish in Lake Ontario.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    no one told the fish i was on a cruiser.  We had brought the pressue cooker with us and cooked potatoes, corn on the cob and 2lbs of snow crab legs.  The shells were tossed into the water. We heard these guys slapping the water surface all night.

If i were fishing in Florida id have been told to move to a new spot when 2 or more cats are caught.  Catch 2 or more in 15 min here and locals think you've found a honey hole.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catfish fingerlings...yum!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I thought about skinning a few but i didnt have scissors on board, only fillet knives so these little jewels will live another year!  

No doubt any catfish other than the bull head/mud cat are good eating.  

On our keys fishing trips in june we probably had a few dozen of what we'd consider eating size cats we threw back.  I should have kept a few of those too. All but 2 snapper we got were too small.  We were in a hydrospprt center console so you'd think the fish would have practically been jumping into the boat 😜
  • Options
    DanalinaDanalina Member Posts: 5
    Thanks guys.  My son really wanted CC or walk around, I think he will be very happy fishing off a cruiser.  We used to fish off our sailboat, a cruiser should be a significant upgrade for him.  :)    Getting really close to pulling the trigger on a 270!  
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    I fish off my 300vee all the time its super great and comfy to down rig off, is just use a cooler for the fish. I have 2 electric Scottys mounted to the rails.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    @Danalina
    Nothing beats the hours of fuel free trolling on a sailboat.  I only wish i had an auto helm as i have an issue with trying to control the rudder while reeling in a fish. I cant exactly lay down the rod to drop sails.  My kid is bigger now but i loved the look on his face when he'd get a pound or two bass on the line, look at me and say dad its too big to reel in.
  • Options
    dcaffreydcaffrey Member Posts: 15
    Danalina, I recently switched over from 30 years of owning sailboats to owning a 2004 270 so my boys would enjoy it more.  We don't fish off it, but they enjoy boating sooo much more.  Pull that trigger and enjoy.