Options

2014 360 with Volvo 380 joy stick steering failure

johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
I just bought this boat, on the sea trial an alarm sounded and a display said helm lost connection with steering actuator.  We shut the motors off and the system reset.  I was told by the broker this happens if you turn the wheel too fast all the way in one direction.  We continued on and all was fine.  On the ride home this happened another 8-10 times.  I texted the broker and he was in contact with the original owner who had some update done and that may be the cause.  We love the boat and don't think this is a big deal. BUT....There are no dealers in our area that have the necessary tools to diagnosis the issue.  I cant believe this is the only boat with this issue.  Has anyone been down this road before?

Comments

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    Run run run.  This is a very expensive repair.  If you must buy this particular boat, verify the repairs are performed with a guarantee of repair. 
    Please share your experience with this particular set up....
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I think this is a software glitch. As you have DTS throttles you are "fly by wire". If the boat has never been in an accident or had DTS throttle problems I think software is at fault. No pun intended. I have NEVER heard that taking the steering to full detent either to Port or Starboard would throw such a fault code. 100% with Al that you need to have the seller/broker certify this IMMEDIATELY. I would suggest that they give you a specific warranty regarding this issue.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    I guess I should have been more clear.  I am looking for owners who have this system.  Not folks that have opinions on it. Any actual owners.....or am I the first?
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Ouch...your definitely going to get help with that tone
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe the only owner on here is dirty thirty who also was having issues and was trying to find a local VP tech to trouble shoot without success 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Johnep..... a number of members have very similar systems. I would suggest that you welcome opinions as the opinions you will receive on this forum are free and usually insightful. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Also important to note that Al designed many of the Rinkers and anything he says should be heavily considered.  Although it sounds like you already own the boat so running may not be an option..  I had a 360 as well but prior to the DTS era.  You have a great boat and wish you luck on getting it sorted out.
  • Options
    This forum is funny.  There are guys that genuinely try to help.  Then there are guys that just want to give their opinion.  I asked alswag to please share his experience with this system.  If you don't have experience with the system I have then why chime in?  I don't much care about opinions.  I will leave it at that.  I have a Volvo tech coming to check it out next week so no need for any more help on this issues.  Thank you to the helpers!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Some years ago I had a colonoscopy and the gastroenterologist told me it was his OPINION that I had a tumor and I should seek a second OPINION.  After numerous imaging tests, that OPINION was confirmed. Nothing wrong with opinions. They can help to narrow down a possible problem.
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    We are all here on this forum to share experiences and offer help.  I doubt very much any 2 people on here have ever had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, however we all take a little time to share what we know...not to be heard, but to offer assistance.  My steering never went out, but another issue I had is similar, so why not offer that experience. If you are not receptive to the information others offer, why are you posting questions ?  It's up to YOU to weed through the suggestions to determine if any of them can work to your benefit.  After all, you asked the question to begin with.

NOW, I'll chime in a little here.   First, I've never had issues with my steering or joystick. So, that being said, I don't know if you are having a hardware or a software issue. What I can say is VP "certified" marine techs are not easy to come by.   I have 2 in my area and I will gladly share their contact info.  However, NH is a long way from NJ and MD.  
    I had an issue some years ago and it turned out I had some bad batteries.   The EVC and the computer that controls your "fly-by-wire" steering and throttles require good voltage. Start there...It's by far your easiest and least expensive check.

below are the  contacts for Volvo Penta which I use:

Eckels Diesel: 609-886-6595 (Buddy)

Outstanding Marine: 410-275-1200 (Rhonda)

good luck !
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Did you figure out the smoking issue 
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    @zaverin1 ...I think I did and it's not good.  I should know more this week.