got weights today

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Boating Discussions
So thought I would throw this out there. Pulled the boat out Friday and today took it to the scales at a local plant I used to work at. Here are the details:

Truck: 2018 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman 6.4 Hemi Off-Road package. 100% stock with me in it and 1/2 tank of fuel = 7240lbs.

Boat: 2006 Crownline 250CR with A/C, about 20 gallons of fuel, about 7 or 8 gallons of fresh water and black tank empty. Everything else as it sits in water, life jackets, cockpit cover, anchor, etc. = 7335lbs

Trailer: 2016 Venture all aluminum tandem axle = 1325lbs.

My total weight was 15,900. Truck was 7240. Difference was 8660 and trailer weighs 1325.

Tongue weight was 680lbs.

My fuel tank is slightly forward of my axles so with a full tank that would add a little more % of tongue weight. Currently it is at 7.8% tongue weight. Fuel tank is 75 gallons so add about 300lbs for a full tank and if you estimate an extra 100lbs of tongue weight (of the 300lbs) then probably about 9% tongue weight with a full tank. Seems to be pretty close to what boats call for?

Forgot to add, I'm looking at buying a different insert rated at 15,000lbs and my trailer sits slightly higher in the front so if I get a little more drop that will add a little tongue weight too.
Post edited by boatman37 on

Comments

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Good owner awareness info.
    Got the CAT SCALE - weigh my truck app, on my phone. Gonna do the same this week. I want to know the details as well.

BTW: my wife has an 18 Durango SRT with the 6.4L - friggin' rocket. We named it "the flying brick".
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I guess you got through all those fuel problem's you had this spring. That's not a lot of different weight than 270. I just rounded boat and trailer off to 10,000 lbs. 
    You need some tongue weight or it will sway. Friend of mine had a 24ft box trailer loaded to heavy in the rear, not enough weight in the front, started swaying at 75 on interstate. He lost it. truck turned over and trailer. Made a mess. He was a cabinet maker delivering his newly made kitchen. He had to start all over. That 2500 will handle 1000 lbs tongue weight easy. and you need it. When I pull my kabota tractor I make sure it's far enough forward that the truck goes down in the rear. Other wise it will sway.  My 2 cents
    My edit
    I always move or adjust the winch stand forward so the boat weight is far enough forward to put plenty of weight on the ball. Seems boat dealer's just stick the boat on the trailer. 
    Boat Name : 

• boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yeah the dealer had to have just sat the boat on the trailer with no adjustments. But from what I have read boats are usually closer to 8-10% tongue weight due to the engines being behind the axles? But even with my old 1500 it never swayed. Towed great. Now my son's camper is a different story. We never checked the weights on it but it's 6500lbs dry and probably about 8000 the way he towed it to North Dakota (1500 miles). His truck is identical to mine other than color. He has a WDH for it. Guessing he would probably be at least 10% tongue weight. I told him to weigh it on the way but he was in a hurry. I might fly out and help him drive back when he comes back and if I do I will put it on the scales at one of the truck stop just out of curiosity. Most all trailers should have 10-15% tongue weight. Be pretty hard to get that with this boat. But I have been towing trailers of all types for over 30 years and this is the first time I have ever checked weights but then again this is the heaviest I have ever towed.
    I towed this boat with my 1500 about 2 hours away on the highway at about 60-65MPH with less tongue weight than I have now and even then it towed great.

But yeah, got the fuel issues fixed. Ended up siphoning all the old fuel and rebuilding the carb. The carb was the bigger issue but the bad fuel didn't help. Had it out about 6 or 7 times since I rebuilt it and it ran great each time. Just had to end the season early cause son is getting married in a few weeks and we will be busy. Hopefully next year we can put alot more hours on it.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RVs usually have 20% of the weight on the tongue. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @boatman37 where did you go to get the trailer and truck weighed? I don’t know of any scales north of Pittsburgh. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    @boatman37 where did you go to get the trailer and truck weighed? I don’t know of any scales north of Pittsburgh. 
    Any truck stop Greg
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @boatman37 congratulations on the son getting married and a new member of your family.  
    Boat Name : 

I used to work at a steel mill in Ellwood City. Went there. But supposedly there are cat scales at the Pilot right off 79 in New Castle on 422. There is a truck stop in Hubbard, Ohio that probably has them. That's the only truck stop I know of around here.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited October 2019
    Well, let's see, you are getting near my home town now so I'll speak up.  You can get anything weighed at East Farfield Coal (back when I was younger, my father would heat our house with coal) in North Lima, OH.  Just off the turnpike near route 680.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    In Pittsburgh everything is weighed in championship rings.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin

Boston home of the Champs........... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:

Boston home of the Champs........... Just say'n
    This thread is now dead to me😜
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Sorry bro...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    boatman37 said:

I used to work at a steel mill in Ellwood City. Went there. But supposedly there are cat scales at the Pilot right off 79 in New Castle on 422. There is a truck stop in Hubbard, Ohio that probably has them. That's the only truck stop I know of around here.
    I was wondering about the one off of 422. I didn’t want to run up there with the trailer, but I might do so. It’s only 20 miles from my house and my trailer is at my house right now because I just got it inspected. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    I downloaded an app called Cat Scale and according to it there are scales there but I can't confirm that.
    @Dream, I was just in Austintown, Ohio the other day and jumped on 680 coming home. I live in Ellwood City. I just got back from Butler a few minutes ago. Got off 422 at Moraine State Park. If I had known about this I would have swung by Pilot and verified it. I'm in New Castle a couple times a week so can try to swing by there. Might be able to call the truck stop and ask?
    I used the Cat scales and the app. Very easy. 12$ I think
    @Cableguy Greg . Stopped by the truck stop today on 422 right off 79. There are CAT scales there. Apparently there is a charge but not sure what it is. It did say you can use the CAT scales app and pay from it.
    Just take 79 north and get off the Rt 422 exit towards New Castle. The truck stop is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the exit ramp. There's a Pilot, McDonalds, and Subway there. If you are up for it there is nice restaurant just past the truck stop on the left side called Ben Franklins Taphouse. Been there a few times. Good food and as long as it isn't packed there should be plenty of room for your truck and boat.
    boatman37 said:
    @Cableguy Greg . Stopped by the truck stop today on 422 right off 79. There are CAT scales there. Apparently there is a charge but not sure what it is. It did say you can use the CAT scales app and pay from it.
    Just take 79 north and get off the Rt 422 exit towards New Castle. The truck stop is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the exit ramp. There's a Pilot, McDonalds, and Subway there. If you are up for it there is nice restaurant just past the truck stop on the left side called Ben Franklins Taphouse. Been there a few times. Good food and as long as it isn't packed there should be plenty of room for your truck and boat.
    We are planning a trip to Erie with the boat for next summer. If we make the trip, I will make a point to stop and get weighed.
    Go Steelers!!!
    I'd like to take our boat to Erie for a weekend next year but probably won't happen. Too hard with a big Lab that doesn't go on the boat and nobody to take care of him while we are gone.