Options

Top mounted extended swim platfrom.

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
Boat: 1992 rinker 235 fiesta vee

Looking to extend the swim platfrom.  

Id like to make it extend 18 to 24 inches past the current platfrom

Mounting it under the current platfrom will put even an 12 inch platfrom under water when getting on plane.

Mounting flush 18 inches will be close to water when fuel tank/water tank are full plus coolers for weekend aboard

Mounting it to the top of the platform will give me greatest clearance to water, i can temporarily mount wood cut out before final cut but i could do maybe 30 inches without issues.  

I am repairing a mower hopper for work an will have a gallon of epoxy resin left over, i have plenty of fiberglass laying around.

Im thinking 1.5 inches thick of cdx plywood would be sufficient for the weight with a few stingers built under to assit with weight distribution.  No need for stainless braces only thru bolts on the existing platform

Anyone see any issues with a platform roughly like this one?

Comments

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    You'll still need stainless braces underneath.  The amount of torque put on them, when climbing in from swimming, or even just jumping off, will put a huge strain on only having thru-bolts.  My aftermarket platform is 45" deep. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Think two 1 inch supports from lower transom to outer edge of platfrom would do?  Ive parted out several boats and have some 75 ft of 1 inch od hand rails plus different angle sanctions to mount them.  I could also weld the poles to a small stainless plate  to make my own feet but id be stuck tracking them with my flux core then having my dad finish welding them at his shop. Im not set up for doing any stainless or aluminum welding at home or at my shop. 

Id like enough room for 2 chairs, a Samuel Adams umbrella and my fishing pole!

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick this is my set up I installed this spring. 48"deep at deepest and 96" wide. Just enough room for two chairs and umbrella like you mention and can still pass by each other. Four 1" struts underneath. 

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a bolt-on extended platform on my 280.  It had supports going from the outer edge to the transom.  I was surprised the factory platform on our 342 did not have anything like that.    

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Ill be heading out this weekend, ill bring a couple length 2x4s and get on plane with them on the back,  if I'm doing transom supports i may be able to extend 30 inches off the back of the current platfrom. Im just trying to keep her out of the water.  I still want a bigger boat but until i sell some of my excess boats/vehicles i dont see the little lady being ok with another boat in the yard.  I had a great deal lined up on a 24x30 ft rv metal garage for 1200, brand new never assembled.  When i told ger it was for me getting a 26 to 28 ft cruiser she threatened if i got it she would get another dog.  Needless to say, im just exploring ideas now on how to so the most of what i got with my current boat.  Cant have a boat with a cockpit table??? Add a swim plat form big enough to mount one!  

Still in the 90s here today, supposed to cool off this weekeend so work will begin in a few weeks.  The hundred bucks i blow on fuel each weekend will go to upgrades. 

Still looking for that om606 turbo mercedes that's been rear ended for the diesel conversion!  
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye my extended had three
    one on each side and one in the middle between the drives