Options

Lenco Trim Tabs

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
After I finished up my new dash panels I noticed that the trim tab switches weren’t lit up. I did see a breaker for the tabs but that was good, is there a inline fuse somewhere that may have blown? I have the integrated switch panel, I did see a control box but looks like it isn’t being used.
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Mine don't light up until you're in the key on position.
    2008 350 EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine don't lite up unless it's dark...
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Mine are very hard to see in daylight.  I have to hold my hand over them to shade the brightness so I can tell they are all the way down (or up) when starting out.  In evening, when coming back in and sun is going down, they are much nicer.  
  • Options
    I haven’t really looked into the issue yet. If there is an issue, do you know if the warranty is transferable? The previous owner had the integrated switch panel installed in April of 2018. I have an invoice for it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    What's an integrated switch panel?
  • Options
    Spyderweb said:
    What's an integrated switch panel?
    No control box, everything is in the switch assembly.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    So when you turn the motor off, don't they go up? I just hit mine all the way down as a take off procedure...on the 270 you can feel the trim and trim tabs...
  • Options
    Yes @rasbury , that’s how they worked when they were working. LoL
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Ok, I get it.  Control box for tabs so tabs go in up position when motor shut off.  I had that on 1992 Bayliner.  Great feature.
  • Options
    The new style (what I have) gets rid of the control box and still has the auto retract function.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    I have Lenco's on my 232.  Mine do not auto-retract. I also have the basic controls, no lights, or indicator of angle on the tabs. It took a bit to get used to them, but I use them every trip out, and they work awesome. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I tested 12+ volts to the switches and 12+ volts to the orange wire. I emailed Lenco and told them my issue. Within a half hour I had a reply with parts warranty return info. I sent out my switch panel today, they should have it on Wednesday.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    For anyone interested in what the integrated switch panel looks like (no control box).

2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Update! 

I received a new switch unit from Lenco today(covered under warranty), customer service was great and very quick turn time from when I sent my old unit in. I installed the new switch assembly before and nothing! The tabs still aren’t working!! I start looking over every wire behind the dash and everything looked good. I pull apart the molex connector that the ground for the tabs goes through and sure enough, I noticed the ground wire on the opposite connector wasn’t lined up with the ground wire going in! I hooked up a jumper wire and connect it to ground and now everything works. I’m guessing my new panels were assembled on a Friday and someone wasn’t seeing straight and put the wire in the wrong hole. I compared the new wiring to the old that came out. See below pictures. (Wish I caught this before I sent the switch to Lenco, nice to have a new assembly though!). I should have a pin extractor at work so I can move the wire to the correct hole.

Ground wire goes in the connector but nothing on the opposite side. They had it in 2 holes below it.

Pic from the old panels

Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Good find. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Good job tracking that down.
  • Options
    It didn't take long to find once I really started looking. Could only imagine what a marina would've charged.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    No pin extractor needed, just slide part of the molex back and pull the wire out and reinsert slide it back and it’s locked in. Trim tabs work normal now 😃.
    2008 330EC