Options

Boat winterizing??

Can a fellow just run antifreeze through my motor after thermostat opens up,or do I have to drain power steering cooler,hot water heater etc?

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    First, you need to run all of the fresh water out of the tank. Next, put 4 to 5 gallons of pink antifreeze in the tank. Now pump pink through the fresh water system. I would bypass and drain the hot water tank to save yourself another 6 gallons of pink antifreeze.

With the engine, I run it up to temperature. Shut the engine down, drain the engine, then run it again with -100 antifreeze in it via a tray, pump and muffs. Some say to drain the block again, but I don't. I may do that this winter.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    First, you need to run all of the fresh water out of the tank. Next, put 4 to 5 gallons of pink antifreeze in the tank. Now pump pink through the fresh water system. I would bypass and drain the hot water tank to save yourself another 6 gallons of pink antifreeze.

With the engine, I run it up to temperature. Shut the engine down, drain the engine, then run it again with -100 antifreeze in it via a tray, pump and muffs. Some say to drain the block again, but I don't. I may do that this winter.
    Not sure if true or not but I heard the antifreeze helps with rust and corrosion so its good to keep in the block instead of draining it. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always left my block filled with antifreeze. Al always drains the blocks because air can’t freeze. I agree with what he says, but I always liked the anti corrosion properties of having antifreeze left in the block. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    @crazyhorse - with a question like that, I recommend you should pay somebody and watch them do it!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pulled the drain plug from the transom, does that count for winterizing?
  • Options
    crazyhorsecrazyhorse Member Posts: 19
    Found all the drain plugs drained the power steering cooler changed oil new filter new outdrive oil blew out the hot water heater going  to run the antifreeze through it this weekend include the toilet and fresh water thanks everyone