Options

Swim Platform Cleat

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of my swim platform cleats had a nut come loose. I found the nut and washer on the opposite side of the swim platform. Any ideas on how to reach the cleat and put it back on?? I can just barely touch it with my finger but no way can I get the nut back on. @Alswagg ??

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tap the nut to the wrench a long wrench 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Get a friend with longer arms. 
  • Options
    Get a friend with longer arms. 
    They need to have long arms and be small enough to squeeze in there. My 2 year old would be able to crawl in there, LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a friend whos 6ft plus with matching wing span. The thinner the better.  The closer he/she can bend like Gumby the better

Now that my kid is older he can access places I'm no longer flexible enough to reach comfortably.  The old mills in the south preferred child labor as they needed less space and little hands can get into tight
     spaces.  

I have an old battery powered ratchet.  Its about 18 inches long. A dab of grease keeps the nut in place on the socket while maneuvering.  Gives my 6ft plus wing span plenty of extra reach.  

Lightly feather the trigger to be sure you dont cross thread. I always start in reverse then tighten to help align the threads.  

A wrench with tape works too.  A ratcheting wrench is even better.

Id probably loosen the other nut before installing new to  rebed the cleat, dont want any water intrusion. 

• Options
    @PickleRick , I thought about the long battery operated ratchet. I think that would be the best option.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I think i got mine at kmart years ago.  Harbor freight would also probably be a good place to check. 

I wish you luck!  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest if you get to get the nut back on and have thread, put another on there.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited October 2019
    icoultha said:
    I suggest if you get to get the nut back on and have thread, put another on there.
    At least a stainless lock washer.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is that photo taken from?  Engine bay? 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Yes, engine bay.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Now that's cool, I didn't realize it was hollow like that.  Will make mounting the BBQ relatively easy.  
  • Options
    I couldn’t figure out where I was looking, it took me a few seconds to realize I was looking in the swim platform, LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It would make a great place to stash contraband! Side hustle?
  • Options
    @YYZRC , tons of hiding places on the 330!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    On my old Four Winns there were wiring tubes that made retrofitting or repairs somewhat less painful.  Does the 330 have any easy pathways to get wiring up to the helm and to the bow without disassembling 2/3 of the boat?  I don't mind the challenge of contortion but I prefer to not bleed out in the bilge if at all possible.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I can’t believe it but I was able to get the nut started with washers balancing on top by using one of the claw grabber tools!! I took notice to where the threads started on the cleat and tried to line up the nut best I could. I lined it up and a quarter turn the nut was on, first try! Then I was able to snug it up with a long 1 1/4 wrench. I checked all of the nuts under there and they were all loose, definitely something to check if you can squeeze in there.

Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a MacGyver move! :smiley:
  • Options
    😎
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You use a long thing-a-ma-ging to put on the whatchamacallit. Good work 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Great job!  That's so satisfying to fix something that originally seems impossible.  Made note to check mine in spring.  What size are nuts?
  • Options
    You’ll need a 1” 1/4 wrench for the nuts.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Both sides are extremely difficult to reach. My batteries are out so it made it a little bit easier. Believe it or not, I was able to shimmy my way behind the generator to reach the starboard side.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Was wondering, could you tape a broom handle to a wrench such that only the working end of the wrench was sticking out, hence the entire wrench handle was taped solidly to the broom handle?  Would this 5' long "wrench" now work in this situation?
  • Options
    @Spyderweb , it would work but you have to remember with a long broom handle you are going to have a lot of torque and it can tear the tape and wrench off. If you fasten the wrench in a way torque won’t effect it you’ll be good.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The other thought was finding the right size metal pipe to fit over a socket handle to get added length.  This is stuff I’ll being trying out next spring.  I sure envy you having your boat at home.
  • Options
    @Spyderweb , it was a must for me to have space to keep a boat on my property when we were looking for a house (and a 2 car garage). 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Old jack handles will usually fit over the cheap China made ratchets.  A ratcheting wrench can be temporarily be duct taped to anyting.   

Luckily for me the kiddo is old enough to use the impact driver and the little lady doesn't mind helping when she doesnt have to turn a wrench or scew driver.  I hand start the nut from below, hold the wrench and tell her to hit it.  The most important part is being sure i have the mounting surfaces clean and sealed properly before hand.    
  • Options
    If you use a ratchet, use one with fine ratcheting movement, it will help you a lot. You will also need a deep socket.
    2008 330EC
  • Options

A mechanics best friend.  If you turn any wrenches these are a must.  I keep sets of these and fixed.
  • Options
    @aero3113 do you remember what size hose you used on the cleat drains? Thanks!