Shrink Wrapping

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you guys leave your canvas up or take it down when you have the boat shrink wrapped? I always used a tarp on my 242 and left the canvas up. Not sure if I should do that with the 330 and shrink wrap?
2008 330EC

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Mine comes off.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Mine has always come off.  Just looking at other wrapped boats, I think it generally does.  I’d be a little concerned about that heat gun anywhere’s near my isinglass.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely off. Also a good chance to clean and treat it.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Always off, even now when boat stored inside. MarineMat up, canvas off and cockpit/storage cover put on and all other taken home and washed and stored flat.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I take mine off. Bimini is rolled up and put in the boots. I stuff dryer sheets in the middle and on the ends to keep bugs out. The rest of the canvas is stored in my v-berth. I layer beach towels in between each piece.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    How about the engine hatch? Does anyone leave theirs open over the winter?
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont, the blower vents seem to keep things dry, bilge is always bone dry... but I am in indoor cold storage
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closed. Less chance of critters getting in and probably not a good idea to leave that weight on the actuator all winter.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    I’m scheduled for tomorrow to get shrink wrapped. I removed the canvas and TV antenna, do I leave the post for the TV antenna or unscrew it from the arch?
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Just out of curiosity are you going to store your boat in the same spot every year in your back yard?  What do you pay yearly for shrink wrapping?

I don't know if you have a strict hoa or not but locally a metal rv garage that would fit over your boat would run about 8 to 9000 assembled.  I keep cats for critters

Mine keeps dry under the garage, mooring cover keeps dust out of cockpit and i can access all winter for repairs/upgrades.   

If power goes out in the house we go to the boat and run everything off of one of my inverter generators
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The post will be fine
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or $2300 from cover guy with a Fisher cover. Me I go for $135 ocean state trap leaves more money for fuel.lol
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Thanks @reneechris14

@PickleRick , since this is my first winter with the boat I’m going to shrink this year and think about other options. I’ve thought about a Fisher cover, I’d rather not have a huge structure built for the boat (although it would be nice). 

I’ve read that there are ways you can reuse the wrap for many years, will try that first. I tarped my 242, so I can try that also. See the below link on reusing the shrink wrap.

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2013/february/reusing-shrinkwrap.asp

2008 330EC
    edited October 2019
    That are charging me $390 with a door to shrink it.
    2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    That are charging me $390 with a door to shrink it.
    That’s a good price. I have a Fisher cover and I love it. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

if you can't do the indoor storage, a custom cover is the way to go.  I've never had any issues with mold/mildew.  I keep damp rid in there thru the winter.  The dark color also keeps it warm in there for me to work on things thru the winter, or just chill out once in a while :)

Here's a pic of my 310 I used to own with the fisher cover.  Making the frame for both boats was a relatively simple task.  Both covers have more than paid for themselves.  The best part is I wax my boat in the fall, and have to do nothing but put the plug in after removing cover for spring.  That's it.  While everyone else is cleaning, I'm enjoying!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great suggestion Al...

All wrapped for winter!

2008 330EC
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you have some projects planed with the door installed
    GMSLITHO said:
    Looks like you have some projects planed with the door installed
    Yes, being that she’s new to me I have a lot I want  to go over and upgrade through the winter.
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Nothing beats the feeling of winter upgrades/maintenance. The itchy feeling on your arms from cut and/or ground fiberglass that wont go away no matter how many times you shower.  Peeling 4200/5200 off your hands for days.  That first beer on board on a warm spring day makes all that winter work worth while. 

It's 75 here today...i really should be boating and not wrenching/playing on the internet. 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    My first season with mine I did the same actually ended up cutting out the door and attached a plastic tarp so I wouldn’t have to keep crawling in and out