Options

Motor Mount Lag Bolts

DanalinaDanalina Member Posts: 5
edited October 2019 in Engine Discussions
I likely will be buying a 2005 270 this week.  One item of concern, on a couple of motor mounts it looks like they have moved as the lag bolts are not vertical.

How much of a concern is this.  The boat has the 496, so with the small lag bolts it's not surprising they have moved.  

I plan to check to ensure the wood is not stripped (put a wrench on the lag bolt and ensure they are snug), and check for stringer rot.  If I buy the boat, I assume an immediate alignment check would be wise.

Looking at the pics, any major concerns you see?  Looks very clean for a 15 year old boat.

Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 270 and my 342 have the bolts and I always thought it was not right but thats the way they are.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one side on my 2001 242 was like that also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Maybe just the angle they drove them in at with, likely, and air ratchet at the factory?
    Also, the pucks look tight. If there was movement I would expect you'd see some discoloration or marks at the puck?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would check them personally. I just had my engines out on my 342 on one of the lag bolts was stripped out. Lucky find. Epoxy filled and re-installed. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Ya couple of mine are  also like that
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that looks like lazy install.  the 'proper' way would be to drop the engine in and place the mounts flat to the surface and mark it... then pull engine out of the way, install the mounts, and then sit the engine on them.  the bushing absorbs slight variations on alignment (not out drive alignment, but the engine to the front mounts 'alignment').  

the angle those are set in the picture sure appears to me that the engine was set in and the lags driven in with the engine in place. 

you've gotta figure the lags aren't pulled 'up' without pushing down on the other side during revs/torque.  you've gotta further figure the rear mounts maintain the alignment on both sides and then vertically as well.  i just don't see how a lag, properly installed, and without a broken mount either above it or the other side, can 'pull' a lag like that. 

little stuff like that irritates me.  it could have been done right.  it wasn't.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, same here...I was worried too!