Lower end unit oil change.

Has anyone every used thier oil extractor  to drain the oil from thier lower unit? I'm on a lift and this would make oil changes much easier. Just curious if there is a reason why this cannot be done.

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think gear oil is gonna be to thick to extract. Also can you get the hose all the way to the bottom from the top cap to extract it all?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • PitterPatterPitterPatter Member Posts: 23
    I was thinking I can set the pump and tank on the dock and it will reach the drains. I just wasnt sure if there was a risk of damage or some reason no one does this. I had to float a drain pan under each drive for about an hour per side. No fun. Just thought  there would be a lot less risk of spills and less baby sitting.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    I do my drives every year on the lift.  I have a raft and use two floating plastic drain pans.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Alswagg said:
    I have done this several times. No problems 
    Thank you, Definitely  doing it this way next year.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Alswagg said:
    Remember to open the remote reservoir cap prior to draining.  

I actually pour what I can out of the reservoir before draining.  Just that much less I have to wait to trickle out of the drive.  Also make sure to get a good cleaning in the reservoir.
    shawnmjr said:
    Dream_Inn said:
    I do my drives every year on the lift.  I have a raft and use two floating plastic drain pans.  
    I bet the EPA love those words “floating drain pan” lol
    Actually, they are quite large and float very well.  & I'm very consciousness about not getting any drops anywhere but in the pan.  Where I keep my boat is basically in a large pond (where entrance/exit is thru a 20ft wide opening under a bridge), so it is very calm.  I sit on the raft and with a remote for my lift, I keep the skegs holding the pans in place (I also hold them as I need to).  It is usually a good time for me to wax my drives and do a cleaning while monitoring the oil draining.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    How about when filling drive oil.  I literally swear while I'm pumping that stupid bottle pump.  I hate it.  It's the worst part of the winterizing process for me.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I use a small 12v fuel pump. Self priming. Built to provide 5psi fuel to carburetor on an automotive application or occasionaly a project we are working on to install an engine in a carpet cleaning van or saw mill.  Tygon makes a hose that fits the drain hole nice and snug.  Dont use an efi fuel pump as its 55 or so psi. These fuel pumps are some 20 bucks or less on eBay.   

Carry a small jetski looking sealed battery with me and my positive wire has an on off switch.  Alligator clips for quick disconnect.   I use a jon boat to do my on water service in so if my bucket spills i catch it in my aluminum hull.   
  • SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    How about when filling drive oil.  I literally swear while I'm pumping that stupid bottle pump.  I hate it.  It's the worst part of the winterizing process for me.
    OMG yes... there has got to be a better way than pushing that bottle pump 10,000 times... anymore suggestions from anyone?
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I have an extractor pump for changing the engine oil.  I thought about trying that out.  I thought the drive oil would be too think for it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if this would work
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might. 90w oil would make that pump work hard though. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Just make sure its self priming.  I heat our shop with any waste oil from gear boxes to old gas and waste motor oil.  I added a fuel filter inline to keep it clean.  I have not had any issues pumping any of it but i also dont go out in sub 30 degree weather to pump out waste oils for my heater.   These pumps are designed to run fuel to an engine for thousands of hours. Pumping a few quarts of oil wont hurt it.  You can also use it to suck out your engine oil, suck power steering fluids, trim pump fluids etc.    I don't know how old my pump was when i removed it from an old carpet cleaning van but ive used it for years.

The viscosity of 90w isn't far off from 40wt.

That pump is for diesel too and diesel isnt too far from 30wt viscosity.  I dont see it having an issue.  If you're pumping in extreme cold temps just put your new foot oil in the house over night before the change.

Before i got the electric pump i used the red top kerosene hand transfer pumps to put oil into diffs and transmissions/transfer cases.