Lowrance to VHF

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in General Boating Discussions
I’m rewiring my Lowrance to my VHF, what’s the correct way to connect the wires to each other?

This is from the Lowrance:
Shield, Yellow ,Blue and Orange

This is from the VHF
Blue, Orange, White and Green.

2008 330EC
Post edited by aero3113 on

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is from my VHF manual a Standard Horizon. Can't remember the corresponding colours on my GPS. You'll likely have to search out the manuals for both your units.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Willhound I found that earlier for both units but I’m still confused? Can you make any sense of them?

Lowrance 

Standard Horizon

2008 330EC
    Funny thing is, I don’t have a grey or brown wire?
    2008 330EC
    I just went and looked at the radio wiring with better light and what I thought was orange is brown and white is grey!

2008 330EC
    From what I can see it's blue and green into the radio and the yellow and shield out of GPS. Keeping positive to positive and negative or ground to negative.
    And then you may have to fiddle with the baud rate on the outgoing GPS signal to match the radio. It'll be a menu setting.
    @Willhound , does this look right?

VHF                    GPS
    Blue    ———— Yellow
    Green ———— Shield

2008 330EC
    edited November 2019
    Yep, that's what I get from the manuals above. When I did mine I left the radio loose and just twisted the wires together to make sure everything was working, and then did the proper connections and mounted the radio. If you're doing this, you probably already know that in order for DSC to work you need to apply for an MMSI (Marine Mobile Service Identifier) which is a unique code that identifies your vessel should an emergency arise and you activate DSC. I believe in the US they are done through Boat US. You also have to be extremely careful inputting the number because most radios will only accept it once, and if wrong, radio has to go back to the factory for a re-set. Often a problem when someone buys a used radio that has already had MMSI set. The MMSI stays with the radio/boat. If buying a new radio/boat, a new MMSI is needed.

Funny story, back when I bought my first VHF with DSC about 7 years ago at a West Marine the sales guy was laughing when he told me that one of the spec's on the radio was that it would operate underwater for up to 30 minutes. "How are you gonna talk underwater"? he laughed. I gave him a second and said, "Do you even know what a DSC signal is? And that if my boat sinks after I've activated it, they might still find me?"
    He had no clue.
    Yes, @Willhound , I already have a MMSI number and luckily the previous owner never entered one into the VHF.
    2008 330EC
    Thanks for your help!!
    2008 330EC
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It's amazing how few people know about this.  When doing vessel safety checks I make it a point to talk about using the VHF, not just listening, but talking to other boaters on the VHF now and then to make sure it's working.  When I mention DSC most folk's eyes glaze over.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge I think its great that you educate folks on using the VHF and to be sure its working, education by examiners is a good thing and is appreciated. My examiner this year tried to tell me that I must buy a DSC, insinuating that it was required which it is not. I do wish our examiners would continue to educate, but not give a hard press on buying things not required. I have a PLB so I am already way above and beyond. Our examiners keep giving the hard press on things not required for inspection. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge I think its great that you educate folks on using the VHF and to be sure its working, education by examiners is a good thing and is appreciated. My examiner this year tried to tell me that I must buy a DSC, insinuating that it was required which it is not. I do wish our examiners would continue to educate, but not give a hard press on buying things not required. I have a PLB so I am already way above and beyond. Our examiners keep giving the hard press on things not required for inspection. 
    I'd be curious if they are CG Auxiliary or Power Squadron.

As for DSC, all fixed mount marine VHF radios made since 1992 are required to have DSC.  Pretty sure your VHF has it.  Not sure what he was trying to get you to buy.

Either way I'd report that kind of behavior.  I can get you a contact for the person responsible for vessel exams in your area.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Having DSC and MMSI is one step. But don’t forget to test it through the auto test/ack functions. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

The wiring from the GPS to the VHF are hooked up and everything is working as it should, thank you for your help. I did have to select 4800 baud and turn NMEA out on in the GPS for it to connect.
    2008 330EC