Options

Alternative Prop Sizes for Rinker Fiesta Vee 242 / 5.0 EFI / Alpha One Gen 2

FJ96FJ96 Member Posts: 30
Hi!

I've a question regarding an alternative prop.

My setup: Rinker Fiesta Vee 242 / 5.0 EFI / Alpha One Gen 2 / 14.12 R 17 prop

With a 3 blade prop 14.25 x 17 my 2001 Fiesta Vee 242 reaches a top speed of 32 knots at 4600 rpm
Now I've mounted an DIY platform extension, with a weight ov approx 60kg. Therefore getting on the plane takes longer now. I unfortunately don't know what is the current max. speed with the platform.

I'm looking for an alternative prop, maybe with 4 or 5 blades, which helps me bringing the minimum planing speed down, let the boat accellerate faster and which is good for cruising. Top speed is not important for me.

Do you think a high five would be a good option and if so, in which size?

Has anybody an experience with my above mentioned setup?

Thanks in advance

Frank

Frank / Fiesta Vee 242 2001 / 5.0 EFI / Germany

Comments

• Options
    Update: I've purchased a Spitfire 4 blade 14x17RH. So same size but 4 instead of 3 blades. Hopefully I can test it in april or may. I'll keep you updated about the results.

Cheeers
    Frank
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of your issue is you have a boat that should have come with a 5.7.  While even a 4.3 would most likely get on plane you have a 5.7 liter weight and fuel consumption but not the power or torque.  

your motor, drive, hull and prop all need to be in top condition to perform properly.  

No growth. No really rough flaky bottom pain on hull.

Working trim tabs plus a fin, nothing fancy needed just your average dolefin.

A well tuned, properly working motor.  

No damage to prop, even a few knicks can cause issues when your boat is a little under powered.  

Adding gear, cabin boat junk, people, coolers, gear and water/fuel can also greatly affect perfomance in boat operating right on the edge of the too little power spectrum.

Older cabin boats put a different gear ratio on 5.0 powered big boats than a 5.7 would have to help them get on plane easier.  This was used by many prominent manufactures.   The 898 searays for example.

Prop design has come a long way since them and so far as i know is no longer practiced in today's boat building.

A stainless prop has less meat than an aluminum so less drag.  It also has less flex so you don't sacrifice as much top end to get on plane quickly 

You said you have a new swim platfrom, does it hit the water when getting on plane?

For prop guesstimates i always feel it best to call your trusted prop supplier and ask the experts.  Most offer free exchange if you dont like the prop they suggested isn't to your liking so long as you dont damage it.

The pitch going from aluminum to stainless will change, i didn't see what material yours was made of.

If the rest of your boat isnt in tip top shape, get that in order before tossing cash into a new prop.  

• Options
    Thanks Rick,

this is true. The 5.0 engine has a bad weight/power ratio. But i didn't manage to find an 5.7 for a good price and I don't want to change the engine again. I did that too many times on the old boat and have done already on this one.

I've tested the boat only once, when I was on a autumn vacation in Croatia with my son.

The boat was loaded with supply for two weeks. The swim platform does not hit the water, because it's mounted higher, than the original. But it weights 65kg. I produced it on my own and wanted to have it very strong.

On top of that weight we put our 2.5m dinghi on the platform with the Yamaha Malta outbord engine mounted. This were 25kg + 17kg on top of the 65.

We still got in on the plane, but it took much longer and wasn't hardly possible with higher waves.

On our local lakes I'm only loaded for the weekend and have no dingy or outboard engine with me.

So I still exped it to plane a little bit later now because of the additional 65kg of the platform. Maybe, if the 4 blad prop is a good choise, it will go on the plane at the same rpm as without the platform.

Hope that we all overcome this virus soon and I'm looking forward testing the boat beginning of may because in the area of the German lake district is closed now for people from other German states, like mine.

Thanks and cheers
    Frank