Options

Froze engine

cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
Hey guys, how can you tell if you one of engines might have froze. I went by the boat 1 engine started good and idled good the other smoked did not idle good and did not sound good when I gave it gas. And smelled really strongly of gas while it was running . I have 2 bilge heaters but i dont know. What you guys think?
cruising on 6. tw0s

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Was it black or white smoke? Black smoke would be running rich(too much gas). If you have two heaters going I wouldn’t worry. How cold did it get? I see your in Tennessee.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    White smoke, in the 20s
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    How long did you let it warm up for? Could just be hot exhaust gas hitting the cold air.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    About minutes , the other a minute maybe
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    20 minutes 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since your boat was in the water I assume, even though it got cold, it probably did not get the engine that cold...
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Is it fuel injected or carbureted? Is it possible the choke isn’t working if carbureted?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Generally when an engine freezes you get water where it doesn't belong. In bilge, in the oil, in the cylinders.    Look for milk shake in heat exchanger if closed loop cooled or on the dip stick.  If its in the cylinders you'll find some spark plugs that are super clean and the rest will have carbon as normal.  
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White SMOKE or steam? Smoke hangs around and stinks.. Steam is gone in a few seconds. 

I'll wager you need to investigate your exhaust manifolds and risers. It maybe time. And, if youre running a vortec and of the variety the bolts go perpendicular (not at angle) through the intake manifold to the heads, you could have ruptured the gasket there. Warping there is fairly common.  IF that is what it is, dont bother with machining flat or new intake manifold... Just go with remflex gaskets there.  You'll see why when you see them. They're worth their weight in gold when you have an issue like this. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @212rowboat smoke for sure coming out of the bilge  and looked to be coming from under the swim platform. Really strong smell of gas and the engine sounded terrible. Like it wasn't get gas or something. 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    If its carbd it  probably also has a mechanical fuel pump.  There is a tube going from fuel pump to breather or carb. If the diaphragm in the fuel pump breaks or tears it will pump the engine full of gas.  

Also could be leaky or sticky needles in the carb

Also could be too much fuel pressure pushing fuel through carb, as the diaphragm hardens on mechanical fuel pumps the psi increases, past about 5 to 6 psi it over powers the float/needles.

When installing my new fuel pump and rebuilt carb i went as far as installing in an inline adjustable regulator with gauge sitting on top of the water pump housing lift hook for easy view, inspection and adjustment if necessary.  

If flooding symptoms are: restarts are a pain, smells of gas.  You may be able to remove the spark arresror and see fuel dripping into carb after its run and cut off for a moment.  Don't try running or starting without spark arresror on if its flooding, a back fire can and will ignite.  If not fixed properly/soon can lead to cylinder wash and engine damage.  Fuel left in the cylinders will work it was past the rings and settle in the crankcase leaving you with an over filled level dip stick that is also flammable.  If run over fillled it can cause too much crank case pressure and blow out seals.    If no damage has occurred you've just given your engine a good flusing and no harm done.  Helps clean any gunk out of her.  An over filled crank case will bellow whiteish/bluish smoke and not black.  I have some color blind issues many other male genders share so it just looks white to me.  I have no idea where people see blue in oil smoke. 

• Options
    @PickleRick, i hope thats what it is and no damage. I am planning tuneups but had a run a bad luck and got really broke. Hopefully next week buying the stuff to tune it up and hoping that will help.
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    A tune up wont help carb issues.  I, don't trust the online remanufactured carbs without lots of recommendations and warehouse rebuilds the same.  If possible use a local carb guru.  If you cant find one let me know, if the forum doesn't already have a go to carb guy id gladly make a recommendation.  
  • Options
    I should have MPI not carb dont know much about either though
    cruising on 6. tw0s